1997 Force 120 not running at the correct top end speed

AvidAngler17

Recruit
I have a 17ft sprint bass boat with a force 120 that I purchased from a. Friend that I recently rebuilt. one of the pistons cracked and scored the cylinders. I replaced pistons, rods, rings had the cylinders machined. Got the motor back together and got it out in the water. It was only pushing about 4000 rpm and 36 mph with a 24p prop. Assuming that was way over pitched I dropped down to 17p. Now I’m running right at 5000/5100. Speed dropped to 34/35. What am I missing? I was told this boat should be running in the upper 40s low 50s. The boat runs great idles smooth, sounds great, holeshot a excellent but top end is just lacking that top end speed I was assuming and told the boat should have.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I was told this boat should be running in the upper 40s low 50s. The boat runs great idles smooth, sounds great, holeshot a excellent but top end is just lacking that top end speed I was assuming and told the boat should have.

Sellers often exaggerate how fast a boat will go.
Or, they just don't know.

Don't know who made your Sprint boat, what year it is, or how heavy it is. Tried looking it up on boat spec and NADA Guides. Neither has a listing for Sprint boats.

Is it possible the boat is heavier than it should be? Is the flotation foam waterlogged?
Or perhaps there are limitations to the hull design.
Does this boat have a pad?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
17 with a 120 should get around 40 maybe more??
Depending on the boat size, load, and configuration. Pics of EVERYTHING?
Weight? load? motor mounted right(not too deep in the water).
Compression and spark test?
You using the trim as you run?
Have trim tabs or self levelers?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Find a shop with a dynamometer or a proper test prop.-------First thing you have to is check if motor can produce the power stated on the decals.-----Changing props to get the desired RPM is the wrong approach !

AvidAngler17

Recruit
No load other than a few rods and maybe 15 pounds of tackle. I’ve even emptied the boat with no change. I have no idea the weight. How would I get that info? I’ll get compression results and spark this weekend and get back to you. Last time I checked compression though was when I got the motor back together it was right at 120 pounds on all 4 cylinders. I do use trim yes. I usually trim down on holeshot and up until I hear the exhaust change and back down at WOT. I have suspected the motor was mounted to low. It’s a five hole plate that’s mounted 1 hole from top. I checked pad to prop and it’s well over 4.5”. Should I raise the motor?

AvidAngler17

Recruit
Sorry I wasn’t able to get compression results until this weekend. I’m showing 120 112 120 112 on cylinder 1 thru 4. I haven’t been able to get a spark test done yet but I have noticed some water leaking from the gasket between power head and the mount that connects he power head to the outdrive. Could this cause my power loss?

The Force power

Commander
In your first post you said; you replaced pistons/rings and got the Cylinders "machined"?
if you compression-results are that low for real (maybe re-check with a different gauge) there's a problem.
Do a drop-down test to see if the engine runs on all cylinders / check the Carburetors for proper functioning

Water leaking from between the power-head & mid-section means you did not properly seal the gasket.
not causing a power loss, but should be corrected!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
See the cavitation plate in the pic?? It's actually 1-2" high.
hqdefault.jpg

The 97 120 was designed with lower comp on the 2 center holes.
You 120-112 is acceptable, low but ok.
Probably the gauge.

That water leak?? it can also be adding exhaust gasses to the cowl.
Try running with the cover off and see if this helps it run better.
I had that n one of my motors and covered the seam/seal with silicone to stop the leaks.
Put it on thick.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What does a 120 HP Force powering a 16 foobass boat has anything to do with a 40 HP Tohatsu powering a Rib, to each its own motor installation. A dry motor height installation means nothing, what really counts is at which lower leg is water flow passing by at speed through both horizontal plates....

BTW, this is the spot on motor/transom height installation for any Tohatsu and their Merc rebadged motors....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBeZjaA76VM&feature=youtu.be

Try to duplicate this scenario by raising or lowering your motor on transom accordingly to match the posted video.

Happy Boating

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Depends on which model/year 17Ft you have..if the Procraft copy 40MPH tops with 120hp..If the Winner/Hydra-Sport copy maybe 45MPH

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Posted the pic to show the cavitation plate is too high.
From his previous posts his motor might be 5" too deep in the water.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Posted the pic to show the cavitation plate is too high.
From his previous posts his motor might be 5" too deep in the water.
That pic posted is really close ..maybe 1 hole high as the Yammy K series props are designed to run with tips surfaced.