1989 50hp Force

woodrow2929

Seaman Apprentice
So ive had a leak in my lower unit (lower unit oil milky) and I opted to get all of the seals and replace them. I got the prop shaft seal, shift linkage seal, lower water pump seal, upper water pump seal.
I wanted to be sure that I have put the seals in the proper direction as I am unsure if this lower unit has ever been serviced and the person before me put in the seals the wrong way. I have looked at the manual Clymer has and cant quite make it out nor do I think it says. I think the top one goes to where the "cup" is pointed up at you, is that the same way with the lower water pump seal goes? Pics would be appreciated!

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
The upper water pump seal is cup side facing up. All others just press in from flat side. So cup side facing in or down.

woodrow2929

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, so the prop shaft seal the side with the spring goes out towards the prop correct? and to confirm the lower water pump seal gets pressed in from flat side with lip down and the upper water pump is the opposite of that one. The shift shaft presses in the same way the lower water pump seal? Im sorry for my ignorance this is the first time dealing with oil seals and want to get it right first time.

The Force power

Commander
[QUOTE the prop shaft seal the side with the spring goes out towards the prop correct? and to confirm the lower water pump seal gets pressed in from flat side with lip down and the upper water pump is the opposite of that one. The shift shaft presses in the same way the lower water pump seal [/QUOTE]

Correct :eagerness:

You should also after all seal-replacements, pressurize the LU to about 5-7 psi
Then with turning the drive-shaft Clock-wise spray a soapy solution around the seals to check for bubbles
Don't forget to check the shift-shaft as well

Ideally you have a pressure-gauge installed as well to monitor a pressure-drop & pull the system in a vacuum to check if it holds a vaccum.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The drive shaft seals can go either way.
2 seals, springs out or springs facing, shouldn't matter.
But springs out is the way to install.
Single seal, spring up towards block.