Faulty /weak Valve-plates

The Force power

Commander
I feel stupid for asking this, but I am;
Can faulty or weak Valve-plates affect the compression-reading on one particular cylinder?
(I held them up against a bright light and no light was showing)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You mean the reeds? If so, the answer is extremely doubtful.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No.
Low comp : bad gauge(multiple cyl) seized rings, scoring on cyl. wall, cracked head, bad head gasket.

The Force power

Commander
THANKS GUYS, I was pretty sure myself that it would not affect it but I had to ask.
This block that I'm currently working on;

Cleaned-up Cylinder walls / all good used Pistons & new rings
Compression-reading are #1 @ 125 psi #2 @ 140 psi #3 @ 140 psi
Head-gasket is used; hopefully that's the culprit

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Reed valves have nothing to do with compression in the cylinders.----You can throw them on the shop floor and do a compression test on the clinders !!

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah I would get a new head gasket$40. Especially after all that work youre doing-Just a thought and again, Im not an expert but only speaking from past mistakes/experiences...check if the recirc covers and gaskets are tightened equally.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If the recirc/ port covers aren't tight, the motor can suck air and cause a lean condition and poor idle.
Shouldn't do anything to the comp.
A bead of sillycone on the old gasket can show if the low comp is caused by the gasket.

The Force power

Commander
I did apply a thin film of silicone to the (used) gasket prior to install.
I'm going to spray some lubricant into the #1 to see if it increases the psi and if it does....it will not be the gasket:facepalm:

Nordin

Commander
The reeds act like check valves in the crank case. When the piston is travelling upwards in the cylinder the underpressure in the crank case opens the reeds and fresh air/fuel mix sucks in through the reeds and up in the intake ports.
At the sametime compression is build up at the top of the piston/cylinder,
The fixed intake and exhaust ports regulate how much new fresh air/fuel mix will fill up and how much exhaust pushes out the cylinder with in the next compression stroke.
After the fire/explosen stroke in the cylinder the piston travells down and the overpressure close the reeds.

Soo the condition of piston rings and the cylinder walls and the intake/exhauste (timing) ovelaping are the parameters that matters of the compression value.
Of course the tightness of the headgasket too.

The reeds have nothing to do with the compression but if they do not close enought, air/fuel mix will spit out back through the carb and the engine will not run right.