'88 Force 85hp Tilt/trim oil drain and replace procedure?

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been wondering if the slow moving tilt is because of air in the system or just low oil. I added new oil after repairing the valve body maybe 3 years ago and havent touched it since. Its worked ok but to me it seems slow. Not sure how I could test the pump motor to rule that out.

If I wanted to completely drain and refill what is the recommended procedure and also this system calls for 30W non detergent motor oil which is what I used but I have read that ISO32 hydraulic oil is better?

So how to drain and refill and what oil should I be using? Thanks...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No use the 30w

To drain: remove the 4 screws holding the pump on the base of the reservoir.
Then remove the front line from the hyd. pump and manually lift the motor up and down.
Loosen/remove the other 3 lines.
Then using compressed air(low setting) blow the oil from the system.
The oil can shoot across the yard if too much pressure is used.

Reassemble, fill with 30w and cycle the motor up as you add more oil.
Then cycle the motor up and down adding oil until the reservoir is full when the motor
is in the full DOWN position.

Adding oil to a full reservoir when the motors up will force oil up into the electric motor or cause a high pressure
leak that can rip your skin.
SAFETY GLASSES!!!!

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
No use the 30w

To drain: remove the 4 screws holding the pump on the base of the reservoir.
Then remove the front line from the hyd. pump and manually lift the motor up and down.
Loosen/remove the other 3 lines.
Then using compressed air(low setting) blow the oil from the system.
The oil can shoot across the yard if too much pressure is used.

Reassemble, fill with 30w and cycle the motor up as you add more oil.
Then cycle the motor up and down adding oil until the reservoir is full when the motor
is in the full DOWN position.

Adding oil to a full reservoir when the motors up will force oil up into the electric motor or cause a high pressure
leak that can rip your skin.
SAFETY GLASSES!!!!

Quick question. I have a chinese motor I bought before i knew i could just rebuild the older valve body. Its just sitting in the garage. When i ran it, the thing literally failed within minutes. The valve body was shot. Piece of junk. But the motor seemed to run fine.

So Im wondering if the old valve body will fit on the new chinese pump? I believe i did try to fit it on after rebuilding the old valve body but iirc it was quite a tight fit and chose not to force it. Whats your take on swapping the old valve body onto the new chinese pump. Im starting to think i may have a worn out motor. Its squealing pretty loud and Ive greased the hinge bolt so i know its not that.

Ive opened the motor and it doesnt seem to be carboned up and the brushes look fine so i dont know. Its possible its just air in the system.

But if its a bad motor Im wondering if I can use the chinese one on the old valve body, which is fine.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Measure the armature shaft.
Possible it is a bit longer and won't work, binding the pump.