1994 Force 120 proper throttle/shift cable lubrication

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had extensive work done on my '94 Force 120 2 years ago by a local dealer and it starts and runs great ever since(had overheating problems but they solved it. But now I notice shift lever/throttle/cables slightly binding. What is the proper way to lube the throttle /shift cables. I want to do this before it gets worse. Thanks.

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Got a similar scenario; going to follow this post.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
To both posts - Replace the cables. Binding is because of a worn sheath inside and/or swollen cables from rust. Grease or oil masks the problem until the cable breaks and is not a fix.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Like GA suggested, replace the cables or try lubricating the linkage.
The trigger "floats" on a bed of grease. Clean the old grease off and re-lube with White Lithium or a similar soft grease.
Axle grease is too stiff.
If the throttle linkage was adjusted sometimes they tighten it too tight and backing the lock nuts off 1/2 turn can help.
Lube the shifter with the same White Lithium grease.

Shifting without the motor turning can cause binding.
If you must shift when not running, have someone turn the prop as you shift.
Just a small amount of a turn can help shift..

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
I was able to kind of follow Dangarmarine on youtube advise as to how to lubricate shifter cables. Although, I decided to disconnect my cables at the engine and rig up a larger hose with clamps and an air attachment for compressed air to be able to push the white lithium grease through my cables, rather than from the helm. In my case the trick worked and did loosen up both cables. I do however, have one which I need to replace ; morse d32377-003-0204.0 but cant seem to locate that particular number cable- work in progress I guess...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The 94 came with Mercury style and the old Morse red jacket 33'sWhat style is on yours?
Google Morse shift cable.
They come in red and black.
I think you can buy them here?
For sure ebay. I got 4 for 88$

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
I apologize for hijacking this thread. Yeah after doing some digging I was able to locate a couple of similar cables to mine; red sleeve morse
d32377-003-0204.0
17 footers. There are few with that number but after reading various posts on different sites I think mine are compatible with Teleflex ccx63307 black sleeve, which are very common.