Tips? Completely stuck bearing carrier 1999 Force 120HP

Onegazza

Seaman
Any tips on how to get a completely stuck bearing carrier out?

I tried following everything the manual says however, 2 of these haven't worked.

So far, I have tried:
- penetrating oil
- hammering the ears, as instructed by the manual
- using a Gear puller
- heating with a hairdryer
- hammering the casing
- slide hammer, with strap between each ear

The last option that seems to remain (and the manual says "least desirable") is clamping / bolting it to a rack and, hammering the lower unit until it comes free.

w
When hammering the ears, I get up to 10mm of movement (after about 20 blows) side to side but, nothing fonward. I've attached a photo for illustration.

Any idea/tips for getting it out?

Onegazza

Seaman
No luck with rotation. It takes some significant blows with a hammer to get it to move even a fraction.

The ears are the two lugs on either side. They normally carry a bolt into the lower unit, to hold the bearing carrier housing in. The manual says to remove the bolts (studs) then, hammer the ears (the two lugs) until the casing is offset then, to hammer from behind, to release the carrier.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Work it back and forth till it fall out.----Likely it is jammed with corrosion products.

Onegazza

Seaman
Hey Presto!

No way a hammer would work but, I made a home-made puller. Offcut of steel strip, 2x eye bolts grinded to a half eye.

Came off in 2 minutes.

There was no corrosion - just stuck through years of not being removed.

Attachments

• photo324005.jpg
    photo324005.jpg
    869.4 KB · Views: 1

The Force power

Commander
Now I see what you meant, nice job!
I've had to make "tools" to remove certain part over the years

Onegazza

Seaman
When I was searching, the genuine Mercury tool is about $80 in the US but, in the UK, after import fees and shipping, it came to about £160/$210.

I'm not paying that much for a tool so, glad I made a DIY one which cost £3.50/$5 in total.

blackd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Be very careful of pounding/hammering the ears. They are easily broken off. Re: the tool above, it is safer to move the pull rods/bolts to the inner supports so that the ears are not damaged/broken. I use a harmonic balancer puller https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Harmonic...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0172I7QWC with modified 1/2" carriage bolts, heads have two sides ground to fit in the small between spaces. Once inserted turn the bolts so that the wider head portions contact the supports. Then just start the pulling process. The carriage comes out very easily using this method and modified tool.

BTW, don't ask how I found out about the broken ears problem. ;-)