Tips? Completely stuck bearing carrier 1999 Force 120HP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips? Completely stuck bearing carrier 1999 Force 120HP

Any tips on how to get a completely stuck bearing carrier out?

I tried following everything the manual says however, 2 of these haven't worked.

So far, I have tried:
    - penetrating oil
    - hammering the ears, as instructed by the manual
    - using a Gear puller
    - heating with a hairdryer
    - hammering the casing
    - slide hammer, with strap between each ear

The last option that seems to remain (and the manual says "least desirable") is clamping / bolting it to a rack and, hammering the lower unit until it comes free.

w
    When hammering the ears, I get up to 10mm of movement (after about 20 blows) side to side but, nothing fonward. I've attached a photo for illustration.

Any idea/tips for getting it out?

Comment

that is already a Merc. LU what do you mean by "ears" ?
      "Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Comment

Keep rotating it back and forth till it falls out.

Comment

No luck with rotation. It takes some significant blows with a hammer to get it to move even a fraction.

The ears are the two lugs on either side. They normally carry a bolt into the lower unit, to hold the bearing carrier housing in. The manual says to remove the bolts (studs) then, hammer the ears (the two lugs) until the casing is offset then, to hammer from behind, to release the carrier.

Comment

Work it back and forth till it fall out.----Likely it is jammed with corrosion products.

Comment

Hey Presto!

No way a hammer would work but, I made a home-made puller. Offcut of steel strip, 2x eye bolts grinded to a half eye.

Came off in 2 minutes.

There was no corrosion - just stuck through years of not being removed.

Comment

Now I see what you meant, nice job!
                I've had to make "tools" to remove certain part over the years
                "Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Comment

When I was searching, the genuine Mercury tool is about $80 in the US but, in the UK, after import fees and shipping, it came to about £160/$210.

I'm not paying that much for a tool so, glad I made a DIY one which cost £3.50/$5 in total.

Comment

some tools you can make & some....we just have to buy

Comment

Working...
                    X