Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

90 HP force in '94 Regal jet boat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 90 HP force in '94 Regal jet boat

    looking at a '94 Regal yet boat (motor missing) according the seller it has a 90 hp Force power head as the outboards

    my question; would I be able to just take a 90 hp force outboard & drop that in?
    "Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

  • #2
    Look into compatibility of the spline on the jet pump input shaft .-------May not be the same as the outboard crankshaft.-----Also have to change over the exhaust cover parts.

    Comment


    • #3
      I am nor aware of an 80 hp jet boat (by mercury).
      I had a 93 with the 90 HP motor and it had the 90 hp three cylinder.
      I had bought it for the parts especially the crank, but it had a different spline than the 95 mercury I had in my Hobie Jet.
      The outboard cranks are not alleged to fit the jets. I cannot prove that is the case, but I do know that there is a difference in the 93 and later.
      The outboard has a different baseplate to bolt to the jet pump, but these can be swapped between the outboard and the jet motors.
      If there is a difference it is not in block or crankcase, but rather in the splines in the crank.
      Removed - Mod Team
      You could check the part numbers of the cranks between the 94 and 95 jet cranks and the outboards.
      I had thought that all of the jet motors had the same splines up until I rebuilt a 93 motor (90 hp) and tried to mount it on the pump.
      I ended up taking it apart (I had had one cylinder sleeved) and replacing the earlier crank with the one out of the old motor.
      Last edited by GA_Boater; January 7th, 2020, 04:30 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by racerone View Post
        Look into compatibility of the spline on the jet pump input shaft .-------May not be the same as the outboard crankshaft.-----Also have to change over the exhaust cover parts.
        GOLDEN ADVICE, thank you R1
        "Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Redbarron%% View Post
          I had thought that all of the jet motors had the same splines up until I rebuilt a 93 motor (90 hp) and tried to mount it on the pump.
          I ended up taking it apart (I had had one cylinder sleeved) and replacing the earlier crank with the one out of the old motor.
          thanks for the response, question on the last part where you said;replacing the earlier crank with the one out of the old motor.

          are you saying a crank out of a '89 would have the same splines as the pump?
          I will have to do some digging on the spline of the pump from this particular '94 Regal

          thank you
          "Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

          Comment


          • #6
            Compare part#s for the respective blocks.


            Buy American made Cars and Trucks!!!Towing insurance for a boat,a GREAT thing.
            ​Tools to make my life easier: Battery tester, die grinder, temp.gun, compression tester, DVA meter.

            In Scenic , Beautiful San Sebastian by the sea Florida

            88 Bayliner 21CC 2001 Mercury 225 HP EFI

            PLEASE,NO PERSONAL MESSAGES IF THE QUESTION CAN BE ASKED ON THE OPEN FORUM I WON'T ANSWER AS MY SYSTEM CAN'T REPLY TO YOUR EMAILS

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by may the force be with you View Post

              thanks for the response, question on the last part where you said;replacing the earlier crank with the one out of the old motor.

              are you saying a crank out of a '89 would have the same splines as the pump?
              I will have to do some digging on the spline of the pump from this particular '94 Regal

              thank you
              Sorry, I after reading it again, the coin dropped. got it now. lol
              that's one of my defects; not really reading what is says.
              "Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

              Comment


              • #8
                My understanding is that the jet motors had different splines. I had thought that all of the jet motors had the same splines, but I proved myself wrong on that one!!!!!
                I have an early crank (1993) I believe that would not fir on a 1994-5 pump.
                By the way the year of manufacture of the boat might not match the year of manufacture of the motor/pump!
                I have not counted the splines on the '93 crank, but it is not the same as the later and the internals on the pump are different as well.
                Since the pump was different internally I did not keep it, but I did keep the wear ring and other outside parts as they looked like they would fit the 95.
                The intake grate and ride plate are different in that the oil change ports are not the same.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Sign up today
                  Between your & jerryjerry05 & racerone advice + some digging myself, I have decided not to go for the adventure(buying the yet-boat)

                  thank you all, for the advice
                  "Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X