Re wire/bypass--1989 Force 125hp;18'welcraft cc

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys
Hope everyone had fantastic Holidays!!

I want to thank everyone who had given advice on this site as it proved to get me back on the water. The journey has been incredible in regards to the knowledge, experience and most of all patience. I am however, considering bypassing the wire harness on my 18'wellcraft cc. Looking around and doing light preventive maintenance , I did notice that the wire harness connection was loose as were the wires in both the male and female sides.
Can this be remedied by just using bullet connectors ??

Thanks

Happy New Year!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Maybe a pic of the area where you want to fix?

The 88/125 harness should have been connected with screws and meet at a buss bar/terminal block.

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
I’m talking about the wiring harness under the center console; where all wires from ignition switch, gages and bus bar connect via harness connection which in my case I’ve found has really loosely connected wires-I’m contemplating cutting out the quick connect and using bully connection for all wires running back to the motor.

The Force power

Commander
If it is a permanent hook up, I would solder/shrink tube all wire connections to protect it from coming loose and or corrosion.
the only downfall with that is, that you don't have checkpoints that can be helpful when there are splice points in your wiring.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
What's a "bully connection" ??

There are many different connections/connectors under the dash.
I just rewired an 83 Hydrasport, FRIGGIN NIGHTMARE!!!
They had 2-3 miles of unnecessary wires and double systems, fuses and circuit breakers.
Bayliner was the best as they used plug in/on connectors for all the gauges.
Again maybe a pic of what your doing?

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Lol
auto correct. I meant bullet connectors.
it’s got a plug in type connector and THAT is where some of the wires seem awfully loose so that’s what I want to bypass by using bullet connectors and shrink tubbing. Previous owner started to do it as three of the wires going from ignition to the motor are one piece

The Force power

Commander
Ha ha I knew what you meant

I never liked that type, but I dealt with a lot of road-salt (corrosion) but if they're clean & tied + shrink tube = sure!
otherwise solder & shrink-tube

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Great! Thanks, I’ve gotta do that and clean up the rats nest of wires from when previous owner hacked out the marine stereo and cb radio; left a crapload of useless wiring. I’ve been dreading this almost as much as replacing my powerhead lol. All the best and thank you guys