Trim leak

Tman801

Cadet
Hi, I recently bought a 1989 Quantum Fish and Ski that has a 1989 Force 150 hp outboard on the back. When I trim the motor all the way up it gradually goes back down to where it is vertical. The guy I bought it from thinks it’s a hydraulic leak. I’ve timed it and it takes the motor 3 minutes to go all the way back to vertical when I trim it up. I didn’t know how much it would be to fix this problem? He said I could still use the motor like that, but I’d figure it would be a pain to keep having to trim it up, or if I got in shallow water. Is it that big of a deal? Thanks for any help!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Changing the oil won't help.
Read the first posts in the Force forum, called the stickey's.
They have a lot of good info and one post covers the problem your having.
https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng...orce-chrysler-faq-and-other-great-information

The trim pump, hyd.pump has a valve in the bottom that needs service.
This is the only thing you can work on in the system, other than the electric motor..
If you take anything apart other than the valve you can do more damage and end up buying a new pump.

Tman801

Cadet
Thanks yaw for the help! Jerryjerry05 I’ll definitely check that article out. If it’s something I can’t fix on my own, I may just leave it be like that. I know it’ll be a pain to have to deal with it constantly tilting down, but I don’t want to spend too much on the motor. Thanks again!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The repair itself is under 10$ IF??? you can get the shuttle valve out and apart without doing any damage.
Not that hard to do.

The 150 was said to have the best power to weight ratio of any outboard introduced up until that time.
Keep the fuel clean, add a filter between the pump and the tank.

Tman801

Cadet
Thanks man for the advice!! I’ll definitely try this out, that makes me feel better that it shouldn’t be too hard to do. I just can’t wait to get it out on the water!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Read and reread the post about the repair.
If it's been in salt water? it might be a bit harder to dismantle.

I might have some parts if you need?
They're free you just pay for shipping.

Tman801

Cadet
So The black reservoir in the pic is what I need to dismantle to get to the valve? Sorry the pics posted sideways for some reason. I’ve never worked on a boat so I just want to make sure I don’t screw this up. Thanks again for the help, do I need to keep the motor trimmed up or disconnect anything when working on this? I know the hydraulic scan have a lot of pressure built up.

Attachments

• photo323729.jpg
    photo323729.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo323730.jpg
    photo323730.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 1

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Yes the black reservoir is where the hyd. pump is located.
The 4 hyd. lines get loosened and then 4 screws and the pump drops out.
Make sure you use a "line wrench" when undoing the hyd. lines.
The front line will spray oil so be careful.
Loosen it until the pressure has been released.

I tilt the motor up and then block it so it doesn't come down.
It will be under pressure so be careful when loosening the front line.

Tman801

Cadet
May the force be with you it’s all good! Thanks again for responding! Jerryjerry05 thanks again for all the advice, you have been a tremendous help! Awesome advice!