1994 Force 120 winterizing question

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I took a few shortcuts this years winterizing my '94 Force 120 because of time constraints as the boat had to be at winter indoor storage location/building no later than a certain time/day. So rather than run it on flush attachment and take it up to operating temperature and then spray fogging oil in carburetor until it stalls, then remove the spark plugs one at a time and squirt oil in each cylinder and replace plugs. I simply removed and replaced the spark plugs after squirting fogging oil in each cylinder and I skipped starting it and stalling it with fogging oil in carb. I also checked the lower unit gear oil, it was dirty but no water at all showing so I didn't change it. I also disconnected the battery but left it in the boat in the battery case. AM I OK??? I plan on changing lower unit oil in spring. The boat is indoors in storage(not heated storage, but indoors), and the boat/motor get plenty of use in spring/summer/fall, probably run it 10-12 times in the season. Will my shortcuts in winterizing this year damage anything?

Nordin

Commander
Think you cover it all about to winterizing an OB, maybe you should check over and put some grease in fittings for steering swivel and tilt.
Put a thin coat of marine grease at the prop shaft too.
Then it will survive the winter.
If you have change the gear case lube for the winter you just have to check it in the spring and maybe top off if needed

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
As long as the battery's unhooked it should be OK!
I left mine for the winter, both batteries, hooked up and had nothing happen.
Just make sure the radios and depth finders are unplugged.
Some draw power when they're turned off and that will completely drain the battery.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Guess I should have said. "When I lived in Michigan" then the rest of the story.

The Force power

Commander
Brrr, their winters are brutal as well:smow: and yes as long as the batteries are in healthy condition & disconnected; they will survive

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Winters are brutal here(Fl.) too :(
Last week I ALMOST had to wear long pants.

Moved here in 08 and still have blue jeans from then. :)

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!