1989 Force 125 No start only cranks 1/4 then freezes

WhyKnott_55

Recruit
I have an 89 force 125 on a Bayliner Capri.
I purchased the boat as an “Mechanics Special”
i installed a new battery, the starter began to crank but will only turn a quarter turn, I went ahead and replaced the starter thinking it was bad but I have ended up with the same issue.However with all plugs out the starter spins the engine over just fine.i tried installing the plugs in 1by1 thinking I had a bad cylinder,However as soon as 2 plugs were installed (didn’t matter which 2).its back to the same issue.i did not have an compression tester available to test compression in all cylinders. I will do that this weekend and post the results. Anyone have any idea what this might be? I’m an auto mechanic so these 2 Stroke outboards are very foreign to me

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Your on the right track with a compression test.
Low comp on one cyl. can cause your problem :(

They sell a snake camera for the newer phones, about 11$ on eBay
You can check the condition of the cyl.
Or remove the head.
It can be a BIG job removing the head.
These Forces seem to corrode around the head bolts and that makes them almost
impossible to remove, it can be done, just a big job.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Inspect the old starter as it may well be a good spare.----Yes load test your battery.-----Inspect test battery cables.----Test the starter with booster cables to test / bypass the solenoid.

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
Try spinning it over with the plugs out.
this could be water in the cylinder
Also with the plugs out (before turning with the starter) try turning it over by hand

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
If there is water in a cylinder then it will spin until it tries to compress the water.
You can turn the engine with the plugs in with a wrench if there is no water in the cylinder.
If there is water tin the cylinder then it will lock up at about that 1/4 turn.
Looking at the plugs as it turns over and there is spray coming out of a plug hole then that would be water.
Ask how I know

WhyKnott_55

Recruit
Compression test came back with the following
cyl1 80psi
cyl2 70psi
cyl3 60psi
cyl4 70psi
put a new battery in it. About to ohms our the ground and power feed lines. Will post my findings

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
Hi ya,

My 1988/125 has 150p.s.i on 3 cylinders, and 145 on the fourth.

Do a dry and wet compression test, run one as you did, then squirt some oil in the cylinder ( through the spark plag hole) and test again. If the compression rises significantly, the rings worn..

Over to you😉🙁😞😊😊

Last edited by a moderator:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The difference in compression tells me that the next step is removal of the cylinder head.----60 PSI indicates a blown head gasket or a motor that is in need of rebuilding.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Before you remove the head, get another comp tester.
Harbor Freight tools are junk.
Make sure the battery is hot, and the starter is good and the cables ok and the connections tight?
The starter can be turning it too slow.

The readings are low but all are close which show the test might not have been done right??

How are you testing?
Remove all 4 plugs, install a screw in tester and jump the solenoid to turn the motor.
Let it turn over until the gauge stops going up.

Then if the readings are that low?? then remove the head.

WhyKnott_55

Recruit
Same results with a wet test. I’m using a snap on compression tester, I’ll be pulling the motor to go through it. New rings ETC.. clean it up with hone.i will post the issue when I find it. Anyone have an service manual for the tourers and procedures or know where I can buy one?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Same results??
How many revolutions you letting it turn while testing?

I've never seen a 4cyl. with comp that low on all 4
That tells me the gauge is faulty or the tests not done right or it has low comp?
I think Auto Zone or other retailers loan tools.

Pull the head?

WhyKnott_55

Recruit
I pulled the head and found a double stacked head gaskets that were I’m guessing repaired with silicone.i orderd a new head gasket and see if that will increase the compression

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Johnson / Evinrude offered THICKER head gaskets at one time.-----This was due to lower quality fuel.-----Nothing strange about using double gaskets.