95 force 9.9 by merc flywheel

Acearcher

Recruit
Trying to get a 1995 (I believe) force 9.9 (serial 0e105639) back into running condition.

Have checked compression, it is a steady 120 on both cylinders.

cleaned carb and gave it an ultrasonic bath.

spark seems very very weak. It is sparking but you cannot see the spark in the daytime without the use of a spark tester. And even on the tester it’s not very bright.

since I’m not getting anything out of the motor even when shooting some gas oil mix down the carb throat, I’m guessing my biggest issue is the weak spark.

am attempting to pull the flywheel to tests coils and other ignition parts. But there are no threaded bolt holes in the top of the flywheel. I have tried putting a little leverage with prybar at and then tapping the flywheel shaft with no luck.

any tricks to getting this flywheel off? Also once I get the flywheel off what’s the likely problem?

any help is appreciated.

Acearcher

Recruit
Additionally just noticed the plugs are bpr7hs I believe the correct plugs for this year are suppossed to be bp6hs. Going to pick up correct plugs to see.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Wait and test the spark at night.-----If spark will jump a gap of 3/8" with a snap you can hear, there is nothing wrong.-----Yes it is difficult to see in broad daylight.

Acearcher

Recruit
Tested the spark at night. They are still very weak small, and most certainly don’t snap I’m thinking that may be the issue.

the ones in the motor are resistor plugs while the specs call for a non resistor plug. Might as well get the right plug in there.

Acearcher

Recruit
Tested the spark at night. They are still very weak small, and most certainly don’t snap I’m thinking that may be the issue.

the ones in the motor are resistor plugs while the specs call for a non resistor plug. Might as well get the right plug in there.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The NGK plugs heat range.
The 6 is a hotter plug that the 7
Champion plugs: the 7 would be the hotter than the 6.

I use a 3 jaw puller and a 4# mall/ sledge hammer.
Loosen the nut but leave on 4-5 turns,the pressure and sudden release can turn the whole assy.
into a rocket and really hurt someone.
Tighten as tight as you can then tighten some more.
Then hit with the mall, keep hands away and have safety glasses on.
That should release the wheel.
In severe cases you might have to use a acetylene torch, if you do then the seals on the crank might need replacing.
Have fun!!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=5rURAluaStE&usg=AOvVaw0vrK1zz3xbwukcmqyl3esn

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Put up a pic of the flywheel. Does it have blank holes that need to be tapped. The 3 jaw puller is a last resort tool only.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
I had one just like this that wouldn't come off. For a couple of days I kept on spraying Kroil oil on it, 2-3 times a day. It popped right off on the third day.

Acearcher

Recruit
Here is a picture of the flywheel. There are some holes around the outside edge (untapped) and also what looks like three spots near the center which may have been undrilled and untapped holes.

also had to order the correct plugs in so have not yet had a chance to test with them. Hopefully they will arrive tommorrow and i can see if that’s where my problem lies.

Attachments

• photo323289.jpg
    photo323289.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Drill , tap just don't go too deep.
A bottom tap is suggested.
1/4-20 is what they use on the older Forces(pre-Mercury)

The 1/4-20 is too small so go the next size bigger.
The 1/4-20 just pulls out real easy.