Force leaking oil

Tman801

Cadet
Hi, I recently purchased a 1989 Quantum Fish and Ski that has a 89 Force 150 Hp on the back. Yesterday I put about 3 oz of Stabil Marine in the fuel to help keep it fresh. I fired up the motor and it started on the third crank, it smoked a little bit but not a lot, I let it run for about 5 minutes to let the stabilizer work through the fuel good. When I shut the motor off I noticed there was a lot of black oil mixed in the water tank I was using. I tried to start the motor again and it would crank and act like it was trying to start but never would. I thought I may have flooded the engine but when I tried to restart the engine today it would crank but not nearly as good as yesterday and never started. When I pulled the the prop out of the water I noticed a ton of oil around the back part of it. The oil seemed to be leaking though the shaft that is above the prop. I have included pictures, I just hope the engine isn’t blown, thanks for any help or suggestions!

Attachments

• photo323143.jpg
    photo323143.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo323144.jpg
    photo323144.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo323145.jpg
    photo323145.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The black crud is unburned fuel/oil mix and is normal for a 2 stroke motor.

It sounds like the battery was discharged from the previous starts and 5 minutes wasn't enough time to recharge it.

Tman801

Cadet
Thanks for the reply GA_Boater! So do I need to charge the battery back up to full charge since it discharged? Thanks again!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Charge the battery, check the connections.
Then do a compression and spark test.
Post the results.