Water tube connection after repairing power head adapter plate gasket.

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Force 88 85hp

I decided to replace the adapter plate paper gasket after failing to fix a leak with silicone.

All went well with lifting the motor and lowering. Got everything back together fine.

The only thing I noticed was where the water tube comes up into the power head. At the surface of the adapter plate there is a bracket that holds the water tube in place with two bolts. The inside of the bracket is hollowed out to accept the copper tubing.

I cant find this bracket in any parts listing.

And the reason for this post is that I am not sure if there is a rubber bushing that goes inside the bracket thatll hold the water tube in place , which has a slight flange on it??

Is there a replacement bushing for this or is there just silicone?? I just built up an rtv ring around the outside of the pipe but im afraid i might have used too much and when it smushed down - the water tube may be blocked off and not get water to the power head.

Anyone have any idea on this? Thanks and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Model # is ?----Looked at about 6 of these models.-----Not sure why you can not find that on the parts lists !----Grommet you need is ---25-F84342----Took just seconds to find that.

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander
Yes as racerone says, modelnumber please.

I looked at Crowley Marine for example 1988 85Hp 853X8A.

Seal in the bracket is "seal inlet water line upper" F84342.
For the water tube "Grommet water line upper" 817491.

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
856-X8A

And I found it. Thanks for posting the part numbers. I need the inlet seal upper. The lower grommet is good.

I was looking in the wrong subsection. I dont know why i thought it was part of the "motor leg" but its actually in the gear housing parts list. Right at the top. But to be fair I had no idea what the part was called :joyous:.

Have a nice night fellas.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I couldn't find it either.????
Where did you locate it?

If the old is there and just squashed, you can put a circle of silicone on the seal.
Let it dry completely.
Make sure the silicone isn't gonna spread into//over the hole.

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Like Nordin said. Crowley marine. Look under the "gear housing" parts list. I like using marineenginedotcom for parts as well. I was just looking in the wrong category. I found one on ebay for a couple bucks.

And as far as the top of the bushing goes and making a small ring of silicone - i made a mistake when scraping all the old rtv off and sliced off the top of that bushing thinking it was old rtv. If Id have known there was a bushing there Id have left it alone but it was covered with rtv and I couldnt tell it was an actual rubber bushing. Live and learn.