Force 70 Slipping in Forward

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks. I can easily get neutral in the gearcase by marking middle of travel of shift rod, but how about on the upper lever under cowl? If I put gear selector in neutral, the position of the shift lever is still subject to where i position the shift cable adjuster, right?

The Force power

Commander
as I said earlier;

Biggest mistake to make is; to try to adjust your motor to the controls! Correct set up under Cowl first & adjust your controls accordingly

I don't know how else to explain then to follow flow-chart below;

Disconnect your control-cables- set-up linkages under cowl-adjust your controls to the your new set-up!

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
Understood. I guess my question still is: How do I define NEUTRAL for the shift lever under the cowl? I ask this because while I can easily define neutral from the gearcase by putting the shift rod in the middle of its travel; but because of the existence of the threaded coupler, I can vary the position of the shift lever in the cowl depending on where I position the coupler on the shift rod, right?? I could move this lever in various degrees of rotation and still thread the coupler back on. Is this lever supposed to be positioned so that the top surface is parallel to the horizontal as defining neutral?

Thanks alot

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
There shouldn't be any adjustment for that part.
The adjustment is made at the connector.
Make sure the shifters unhooked at the motor and in N
Then that part set it at about half way on it's travel.
Then set the lower unit to N. and then move the connector so the rods are close and then set the
connector and tighten the lock nut.
Then adjust the cable so it loosely fits over the stud.

The shift shaft: I'm not sure if it gets screwed all the way in or if it gets 2-3 turns out from the bottom???
Maybe someone with that manual can add that info.
If it's not right the shifting can be off not completely engaging F or R??

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
I think I understand this now - the coupler threads onto reverse threads on shift rod, and regular threads on the uper shift link, meaning that the length of this joint remains fixed when the coupler is turned ( I believe so).

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
YES!- the coupler threads onto reverse threads on shift rod, and regular threads on the uper shift link, meaning that the length of this joint remains fixed when the coupler is turned