Adding tilt/trim to 91/92 Force 90

Mickey13

Seaman Apprentice
I was thinking about adding power tilt trim to my engine, but the used units on ebay seem expensive compared to aftermarket units. Any thought?

The Force power

Commander
I was thinking about adding power tilt trim to my engine, but the used units on ebay seem expensive compared to aftermarket units. Any thought?

You'll have a greater chance of finding a good "parts-motor" or Organ donor as I like to call them then with aftermarket.
You'll also need the Trim relays & wiring

Mickey13

Seaman Apprentice
OH OH back to craigslist i GO...lol

so you don't like any of the aftermarket options? i have the up/down button on my controls, so possibly i may not need the harness

The Force power

Commander
OH OH back to craigslist i GO...lol

so you don't like any of the aftermarket options? i have the up/down button on my controls, so possibly i may not need the harness

You may have the up/down controls on your throttle-controls, but you need the trim wiring & relays that are needed inside the Cowl

I don't hear anything good on here about it, but I don't have any experience with those aftermarket products.
All I'm saying is that it may make more sense to buy a spare motor with that on there for cheaper then aftermarket.

If you were in my area, I would give you one that I'm not going to be using

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The aftermarket trim@tilt, what one are you interested?
There are deals out there if you have patience?
I bought a complete running 125 with T@T for 125$
MTFBWY seems to offer one? Maybe you can work out a deal for him shipping it??

The only problem with the change is the motors OLD!!
And like old people stuck in our way and don't wanna change.
The old stuff coming off can be a B%$#&.

The controls with the switch in the handle can be used and the cable has the wires in it also.
You don't really need the relays just watch for hot spots in the wiring.
But use them if you can get them.
All the cowls have the place for mounting them already.

Look around for the deals, Xmas is coming and somebody just might need a few $ for a pile
of junk they have setting around??

Include a signature and a location?
You might be close to someone who can help??

Mickey13

Seaman Apprentice
so i did get a lead on a wiring harness part no 84-819514A11. i'll be picking it up local. the seller also alerted me that there are 2 or 3 outboard junkyards within 10 minutes of me (living by the water has its advantages!)

so i will scour the local junkyards but i can tell you that the cheapest used unit i have found online is $300 (2 hour drive 1 way) running up to $600.

Aftermarket i found CMC, not sure what other options might be available

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Junkyards can be a good place and then they can be expensive.
Let us know how you do?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
usually cheaper to sell what you have and buy what you want

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
What Scott said. Buy an aftermarket tilt and trim like a cmc or panther. That way if the motor craps out the tilt and trim is easy to sell. Buying a factory system for that motor is a waste of money. It is NLA and the parts availability is just not there. If that was a newer Mercury style midsection that is a different story. But that Motor is a U.S. Marine/Chrysler product obsolete across the board. CMC unit show up on craigslist a couple times a year for $3-$400 just be patient.

Mickey13

Seaman Apprentice
he bought what he bought (a 30 year old motor with a 15 year design life) and now wants to buy a bunch of obsolete and NLA parts to make it what he wants.

eventually, i'll do a restoration on this boat and i may repower at that time. looking to get through a couple of seasons on the cheap while i work on my other boats.

thanks for the advice though, i think you are right in a sense

Mickey13

Seaman Apprentice
something local popped up. 1988 125 bracket with refurb motor $100. i'll look it up later tonight when i have a bit more time (running my son out to his scouts meet), but does anyone know off hand if this would fit?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
It probably will.
Forked River, salt water.
Start spraying with WD or PB Blaster or Krol, NOW!!
Use a heat gun to heat the area, then spray and then heat and then spray.
Repeat a couple hundred times and then try to take it apart :)

Mickey13

Seaman Apprentice
he wants to sell me the powerhead too, says its running 150 psi on all the cyl. should i stick with the 90? pick it as a spare, switch it and keep the 90 as a spare? skip it?

The Force power

Commander
he wants to sell me the powerhead too, says its running 150 psi on all the cyl. should i stick with the 90? pick it as a spare, switch it and keep the 90 as a spare? skip it?[/QUOTE

IF......he can verify the compression & the price is right. lol

that only you can decide

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You can NEVER have too many spare parts.

A running 30 year old motor must not be too bad!!!
The parts are there, just gotta look and you will find what you need.

The Force power

Commander
You can NEVER have too many spare parts.

A running 30 year old motor must not be too bad!!!
The parts are there, just gotta look and you will find what you need.

TOTALLY AGREE!!!

Buy as many spare motors as needed/like, the parts will come in handy..maybe not today but one day they will!
I bought a total of four parts-motors for as small amount ($500 total) and to have many parts available to me is priceless.

No matter how old or "life expectancy" if the are well tuned & maintained the will work as well as new ($18,000.00 here)

Grumpy old guy who plays with boats must be tired of playing with old motors

The Force power

Commander
something local popped up. 1988 125 bracket with refurb motor $100. i'll look it up later tonight when i have a bit more time (running my son out to his scouts meet), but does anyone know off hand if this would fit?

any luck with this?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Grumpy old guy who plays with boats must be tired of playing with old motors

Nope, just a realist when it comes to stuff with near zero parts support. I have an old Merc that I can get parts for (cheaply) that i will soon have up and running...... that is replacing an old Gale that I cant get parts for (at least cheap enough to make sense). The gale runs, however needs parts worth more than the motor is worth to be reliable.

when the part needed exceeds the value of the whole, I simply buy another $100 outboard