1989 force 125hp tachometer issue(veethree)

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
So the other day I’m out testing the new powerhead and all goes as planed-well with the exception that my temp gauge fogged up then the voltage gage shot way up. I stopped immediately and looked it over. Went to turn key and NOTHING....looked and checked everything. Voltage checked all pertinent connections -all fine. Then came across the circuit breaker and it was tripped. That fired it right up and so, a bit gun shy went ahead and performed some speed tests and the thing runs like a rocket. Got it back to the house and started performing the usual flushing and other ritualistic checks and WHOA!!! I noticed hinge pin on the transom, where the motor hinges to go up and down-well one side was completely snapped. So just hanging on with one side of the through pin/screw. Don’t know if this happened on the trailer or as I was buzzing around. I did swap the whole thing out beacause not only did I have a new old spare from when the guy sold me this new/old powerhead and/or motor but that I have a conveniently located tree branch over where I park the boat. So that’s my story. I just hooked up the trim and tilt hydrolic lines and seems to be operating just fine. Swapped out the circuit breaker, and voltage regulator with a spare I had. All put back together and fired it up...so now my tachometer is pegged and wont move. Is there any test procedures I should be looking at?

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Yes sir-voltage gage is where it’s supposed to be

The Force power

Commander
logic would dictate a faulty voltage regulator, sorry I'm not much help here other then verify that the voltage is actual flowing into the battery

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Am I supposed to be reading 12v at the tach coming from ign switch in on position? How much v’s at sender post?

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
ahhh yep-ill do some digging when I get a chance on her next

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Should be 12v to the tach.
The V to the sending unit should be 12 once it makes complete contact making the buzzer buzz.
It might start low and work it's way up as it makes better contact??

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys
got a chance to do some digging and still got a pegged tach and now I just found my temp gage got some burn mark on it. As I recall the whole thing stated when At WOT ; I noticed the temp gage going crazy then circuit breaker popped then when finally back home the tach is still pegged to this moment. Any input ? I checked wiring and all seems as it should be. I Swapped rectifier.

Attachments

• photo322692.jpg
    photo322692.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 0

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
By the way there’s a resistor/connected between the I and S terminals-normal??

The Force power

Commander
Hey guys
got a chance to do some digging and still got a pegged tach and now I just found my temp gage got some burn mark on it. As I recall the whole thing stated when At WOT ; I noticed the temp gage going crazy then circuit breaker popped then when finally back home the tach is still pegged to this moment. Any input ? I checked wiring and all seems as it should be. I Swapped rectifier.

When you say "pegged tach" you mean even with the motor not running?
The temp gauge is the one that's burnt? or the resister?

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Yes pegged tach when not running-and yes the resistor looks like it got real hot

The Force power

Commander
Yes pegged tach when not running-and yes the resistor looks like it got real hot

I'd say the Tach. is pooched & the resister on the temp gauge, maybe one caused the other??
I can't say as I don't know the set-up in the boat

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks-I’m looking into new ones but gun shy because I still don’t know what really caused it

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Sucks because the gages were a year old. I think something got mashed while I was tugging on the steering cable when I did the transom clamp bracket swap out. All wiring was triple checked. But at wot as I said, something initiated the circuit breaker to trip( temp gage; but what could’ve poached the temp gage). I’m a bit confused about the jumper resistor thing though