96 75 Force

JCovas

Recruit
I have a 75 hp Force that has too much compression when the plugs are in to turn the motor. So far I've only found a single reed cracked. I replaced the cracked red assembly and removed head cover and lower engine cover also. I couldn't find anything unusual, everything actually looked great! It turned freely by hand and pistons were clean.
I assembled everything and I can't hardly turn the flywheel by hand or with the starter sunless I remove all 3 plugs. Does this engine have a preasure release?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Take the electric starter apart for inspection.----Have your battery load tested too.------No such thing as ---" too much compression "------Or post your compression numbers when tested with a good compression testing device.

JCovas

Recruit
Something could be wrong with the battery and also with the starter but there is nothing wrong with my arms and hands. This thing ain't turning.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If it turns with out the plugs?
But doesn't when they're in?
Low compression on one or more cyl. all 3 should read within 5# of each other.
Do like racerone suggested, compression test.
Use a "good" tester, Harbor Freight tools give horrible results.
Then load test the battery, it can read 12v and still be bad??
Clean/rebuild the starter.
The battery cable could have a bad spot?

Some cases the lower unit gears/bearings go bad and cause hard turning, drop the lower if the comp
or other suggestions don't fix.

JCovas

Recruit
Lower unit is off, starter is good and battery has been load tested. Does anyone know if this thing has a preasure release? I don't want to press the flywheel off and pull the crankshaft to then find out it doesn't have one.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Was this motor possibly submerged at one time ?-----There is no compression release.----Do some orderly trouble shooting.----This should be easy to figure out !

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
What are the compression readings??

You say the starter's good even a NEW starter can be bad,and the battery's good and the lower unit is off.
If the comp is good???? then you might have a bearing seized on the top of the crank?
Post comp readings?