Temperature Sender

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature Sender

I am replacing the old temp sender and temp gauge with new Faria products. When screwing in the new temp sender should anything be used on the threads.....anti seize, pipe dope, teflon tape, etc? Or just install as is? I know there needs to be metal to metal contact to ground the sender so wasn't sure if anything should be used or not. Thanks.
    1978 Chrysler 85 HP Model # 857H8F Serial # 3258
    "If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging." ----Will Rogers----

Even if you use tape, some contact is made, the tape just fills in the spaces between the threads..
    But if it's a tight enough fit??
    Just screw it in.

One thing I did was replace the buzzer with a motorcycle horn.
    The buzzer wasn't loud enough when running at high speeds.
    Just make sure you wire it correctly.

Buy American made Cars and Trucks!!!Towing insurance for a boat,a GREAT thing.
    ​Tools to make my life easier: Battery tester, die grinder, temp.gun, compression tester, DVA meter.

In Scenic , Beautiful San Sebastian by the sea Florida

88 Bayliner 21CC 2001 Mercury 225 HP EFI

PLEASE,NO PERSONAL MESSAGES IF THE QUESTION CAN BE ASKED ON THE OPEN FORUM I WON'T ANSWER AS MY SYSTEM CAN'T REPLY TO YOUR EMAILS

Comment

Originally posted by jerryjerry05 View Post
      Even if you use tape, some contact is made, the tape just fills in the spaces between the threads..
      Just screw it in.

Just make sure you wire it correctly.
      I like the motorcycle horn idea....but I just replaced the stock horn a few months ago and added a warning light on the dash, Thanks for the info Mr Jerry.

Comment

Originally posted by topgun3690 View Post

I like the motorcycle horn idea....but I just replaced the stock horn a few months ago and added a warning light on the dash, Thanks for the info Mr Jerry.
        That's exactly what I did, installed a light parallel with the buzzer & moved the buzzer (from underneath the dash to on the dash)
        "Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by may the force be with you View Post

That's exactly what I did, installed a light parallel with the buzzer & moved the buzzer (from underneath the dash to on the dash)
          I like the bright LED light on the dash...comes on when the horn is activated by grounding the thermswitch....hope it never comes on for real! Lol. Figured I have done about all I can do to avoid an actual over-heat situation with this old motor: added the warning light, replaced the thermoswitch and horn, new temp gauge and sender, new thermostat, and of course replacing the impeller every couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by topgun3690 View Post

I like the bright LED light on the dash...comes on when the horn is activated by grounding the thermswitch....hope it never comes on for real! Lol. Figured I have done about all I can do to avoid an actual over-heat situation with this old motor: added the warning light, replaced the thermoswitch and horn, new temp gauge and sender, new thermostat, and of course replacing the impeller every couple years.
            Yup, I've not seen mine in action either lol
            "Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by may the force be with you View Post

Yup, I've not seen mine in action either lol
              Knock on Wood! Lol

Comment

Installed the temp sender yesterday....used just a little pipe dope on the threads. No leaks and didn't interfere with the sender grounding on the head. Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

for $12 I have a bright red LED / 90db buzzer
                  Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                  1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                  2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                  1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
                    for $12 I have a bright red LED / 90db buzzer
                    Nice! That's cheaper than what I did....the oem horn was $24 on ebay, the light just a couple bucks. Not sure what the db rating is on the oem.

Comment

[QUOTE=jerryjerry05;n10805942]Even if you use tape, some contact is made, the tape just fills in the spaces between the threads..
                      Just screw it in.

Just make sure you wire it correctly.[/QUOTE

Took your advice and installed a real horn for the overheat warning.....If it ever goes off I might have to change my drawers!

Comment

[QUOTE=topgun3690;n10810670]
                        Just screw it in.

Just make sure you wire it correctly.[/QUOTE

Took your advice and installed a real horn for the overheat warning.....If it ever goes off I might have to change my drawers!
                        lol sounds awesome!!

if I may speak for Jerryjerry; to clarify the " just make sure you wire it correctly"

He means: to run the actual ground of the horn not through the Temp-sensor due to the high amps.
                        you will need to run the power/ ground ( from the horn) through a relay and have the ground from the relay-wire connected to the Temp-sensor.

Jerryjerry I hope i did not over step & took the liberty to speak in your name , correct me if I'm wrong

Comment

That's a good idea but not what I meant.
                          The motorcycle/car horn, some come with a + and - terminal.
                          If not hooked up right it won't work,

The ones I've done seemed to work without adding relays.
                          Less is more.
                          The more you add the bigger the chance of something going bad.

That was a good idea.

Buy American made Cars and Trucks!!!Towing insurance for a boat,a GREAT thing.
                          ​Tools to make my life easier: Battery tester, die grinder, temp.gun, compression tester, DVA meter.

In Scenic , Beautiful San Sebastian by the sea Florida

88 Bayliner 21CC 2001 Mercury 225 HP EFI

PLEASE,NO PERSONAL MESSAGES IF THE QUESTION CAN BE ASKED ON THE OPEN FORUM I WON'T ANSWER AS MY SYSTEM CAN'T REPLY TO YOUR EMAILS

Comment

That's a good idea but not what I meant.
                            The motorcycle/car horn, some come with a + and - terminal.
                            If not hooked up right it won't work,

The ones I've done seemed to work without adding relays.
                            Less is more.
                            The more you add the bigger the chance of something going bad.

That was a good idea.
                            typical me; seeing too much into it.

Comment

The horn I used was one I forgot I had. It was part of a two horn set made for automotive use. Since I only used one I didn't see the need for relays, etc. And it doesn't matter which way it is hooked up, it works either way. Used the KISS system when installing. Lol.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X