Temperature Sender

topgun3690

Ensign
I am replacing the old temp sender and temp gauge with new Faria products. When screwing in the new temp sender should anything be used on the threads.....anti seize, pipe dope, teflon tape, etc? Or just install as is? I know there needs to be metal to metal contact to ground the sender so wasn't sure if anything should be used or not. Thanks.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Even if you use tape, some contact is made, the tape just fills in the spaces between the threads..
But if it's a tight enough fit??
Just screw it in.

One thing I did was replace the buzzer with a motorcycle horn.
The buzzer wasn't loud enough when running at high speeds.
Just make sure you wire it correctly.

topgun3690

Ensign
Even if you use tape, some contact is made, the tape just fills in the spaces between the threads..
Just screw it in.

Just make sure you wire it correctly.

I like the motorcycle horn idea....but I just replaced the stock horn a few months ago and added a warning light on the dash, Thanks for the info Mr Jerry.

The Force power

Commander
I like the motorcycle horn idea....but I just replaced the stock horn a few months ago and added a warning light on the dash, Thanks for the info Mr Jerry.

That's exactly what I did, installed a light parallel with the buzzer & moved the buzzer (from underneath the dash to on the dash)

topgun3690

Ensign
That's exactly what I did, installed a light parallel with the buzzer & moved the buzzer (from underneath the dash to on the dash)

I like the bright LED light on the dash...comes on when the horn is activated by grounding the thermswitch....hope it never comes on for real! Lol. Figured I have done about all I can do to avoid an actual over-heat situation with this old motor: added the warning light, replaced the thermoswitch and horn, new temp gauge and sender, new thermostat, and of course replacing the impeller every couple years.

The Force power

Commander
I like the bright LED light on the dash...comes on when the horn is activated by grounding the thermswitch....hope it never comes on for real! Lol. Figured I have done about all I can do to avoid an actual over-heat situation with this old motor: added the warning light, replaced the thermoswitch and horn, new temp gauge and sender, new thermostat, and of course replacing the impeller every couple years.

Yup, I've not seen mine in action either lol

topgun3690

Ensign
Installed the temp sender yesterday....used just a little pipe dope on the threads. No leaks and didn't interfere with the sender grounding on the head. Thanks for all the replies.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
for $12 I have a bright red LED / 90db buzzer

topgun3690

Ensign
Just screw it in.

Just make sure you wire it correctly.[/QUOTE

Took your advice and installed a real horn for the overheat warning.....If it ever goes off I might have to change my drawers! :lol:

The Force power

Commander
Just screw it in.

Just make sure you wire it correctly.[/QUOTE

Took your advice and installed a real horn for the overheat warning.....If it ever goes off I might have to change my drawers! :lol:

lol sounds awesome!!:mod:

if I may speak for Jerryjerry; to clarify the " just make sure you wire it correctly"

He means: to run the actual ground of the horn not through the Temp-sensor due to the high amps.
you will need to run the power/ ground ( from the horn) through a relay and have the ground from the relay-wire connected to the Temp-sensor.

Jerryjerry I hope i did not over step & took the liberty to speak in your name , correct me if I'm wrong

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
That's a good idea but not what I meant.
The motorcycle/car horn, some come with a + and - terminal.
If not hooked up right it won't work,

The ones I've done seemed to work without adding relays.
Less is more.
The more you add the bigger the chance of something going bad.

That was a good idea.

The Force power

Commander
That's a good idea but not what I meant.
The motorcycle/car horn, some come with a + and - terminal.
If not hooked up right it won't work,

The ones I've done seemed to work without adding relays.
Less is more.
The more you add the bigger the chance of something going bad.

That was a good idea.

typical me; seeing too much into it.

topgun3690

Ensign
The horn I used was one I forgot I had. It was part of a two horn set made for automotive use. Since I only used one I didn't see the need for relays, etc. And it doesn't matter which way it is hooked up, it works either way. Used the KISS system when installing. Lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0919 (2).jpg
    IMG_0919 (2).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

The Force power

Commander
The horn I used was one I forgot I had. It was part of a two horn set made for automotive use. Since I only used one I didn't see the need for relays, etc. And it doesn't matter which way it is hooked up, it works either way. Used the KISS system when installing. Lol.

When it goes you'll have plenty attention lol