Prestolite ignition problem

The Force power

Commander
I'm testing the ignition-system before I remove it of this Part motor and found no spark on #3

I have;
-disconnected the rectifier & kill-wires

- checked all wiring connections & wires on trigger & Stator
- (ohm) tested the Stator & trigger as per Factory manual = good
-tested coils individual by swapping around = good
I'm getting 400+ V. ac from switch-box wire to coils on all three

did I over look a step?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Try swapping the packs around?

The trigger leads: try pulling on each lead and see if it's broken under the shrinkwrap?

The Force power

Commander
Try swapping the packs around?

The trigger leads: try pulling on each lead and see if it's broken under the shrinkwrap?

Hi Jerry thanks for tuning in, I'll try that and/or Swap out with different pack(although that pack could be defective also)
but I do get 400 to 500 volts coming off the wire for coil#3 ,would that not tell me; the pack is good?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Swap with the other known good pack.
Or try the 4th lead and see if it sparks then?

Without hands on I can't be sure what your readings are.
Usually the no fire on 1 cyl. is the stator, even if it tests good??? it can be bad.
Or the trigger is bad.

You have the DVA meter or the attachment?

The Force power

Commander
Swap with the other known good pack.
Or try the 4th lead and see if it sparks then?

Without hands on I can't be sure what your readings are.
Usually the no fire on 1 cyl. is the stator, even if it tests good??? it can be bad.
Or the trigger is bad.

You have the DVA meter or the attachment?

Hi Jerry, I still have not made my DVA-attachment.
How would the 4th. lead discharge? if there's no trigger-signal?

The Force power

Commander
Swap all the leads around, that makes the 2nd half of the pack hot.

Sorry about that, I came to that conclusion to try that myself later that night. so in theory.... I could leave like that

Would the one of the Stator-wire then be hooked to the 2nd. pack? OR staying joint?

Last edited:

The Force power

Commander
Probably stay there.
I don't have a diagram to look at.

I have not tried it but, according to this; is not

I having a hard time removing the Fly-wheel heated & soaked overnight followed by pounding the c^#p out of the puller no luck so far but I'd rather destroy the puller set then the fly-wheel

Attachments

• image_152596.jpg
    image_152596.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 0

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have not tried it but, according to this; is not

I having a hard time removing the Fly-wheel heated & soaked overnight followed by pounding the c^#p out of the puller no luck so far but I'd rather destroy the puller set then the fly-wheel

What kind of puller are you using? I borrowed one from Autozone.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I use a BIG 3 jaw puller.
Unscrew the nut 3-4 turns, make sure it stays on there or the whole mess can fly away.
Tighten it down and then tighten it some more thenuse a torch(not a propane torch) and heat the top of the crank.
Then the top of the puller, 3# hammer.
Don't leave a socket on the end, it just absorbs the blow and cuts down on the effect.
You can bend the edges of the bolt, they can be filed later.
Since it's gotten real hot, the seal on the stator base might be destroyed, replace if needed.

The Force power

Commander
I use a BIG 3 jaw puller.
Unscrew the nut 3-4 turns, make sure it stays on there or the whole mess can fly away.
Tighten it down and then tighten it some more thenuse a torch(not a propane torch) and heat the top of the crank.
Then the top of the puller, 3# hammer.
Don't leave a socket on the end, it just absorbs the blow and cuts down on the effect.
You can bend the edges of the bolt, they can be filed later.
Since it's gotten real hot, the seal on the stator base might be destroyed, replace if needed.

Yeah, it's my next move; to borrow the big Puller from work, I used to use removing Couplers & Fan-clutches about the same diameter as the Fly-wheels

So far only used the propane torch but will move on to acetylene that get hotter quick at I'll be able to keep the heat from spreading

The Force power

Commander
Let us know?

My Grandfather always said; using good tools is half the work that needs to be done.

it popped-off after the second smack & no heat required

and Jerry I took your words to hart and RE-checked the stator. the ohms reading was out by a hundred so now that the Flywheel was off I slapped on a spare that checked out; sure enough the #3 fires.

I pulled the other flywheel off the second motor (that already installed a head) and today I'll be removing the Mercury-ignition to swap-out with the (now tested) force ignition

Attachments

• IMG_1946.JPG
    IMG_1946.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 0