Cold start issue 89 force 125 hp

The Force power

Commander
So I swapped out choke solenoids( I have 3 spare)and no change. I checked the green wire(with a tester) from back of switch to the engine terminal and solenoid and it checked out fine with no breaks within. I then alligator clipped the green wire on selonoid and ground as trying to use the choke-registered 8.34 volts.The other day I did notice the choke sluggishly working as if a bad connection- So long story short; the electric choke is not being activated with key switch which is telling me to replace it. It is the original I believe

The 8.3 volts reading is that when energized coil ? or power supplied to coil?
If before the switch have 12 volts & after switch 12 volt but at end of wire on 8.3 with no load, looks to me the wire is nfg.

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Good point. I’ll jumper a wire to verify although was told not to worry about v drop

The Force power

Commander
Good point. I’ll jumper a wire to verify although was told not to worry about v drop

.5 to a volt no, but from 13.8/12.5 to 8.3 yes (verified ground, that will affect the readings also)
Even with good readings the wiring can be bad.
let's say; it's shows 12 volts at the wire and a soon you apply a load on the wire the voltage drops down significant (not caused by faulty/shorted attachment)
could be a good indicator that the wire is not good

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You said"
I then alligator clipped the green wire on selonoid and ground as trying to use the choke-registered 8.34 volts"
You didn't include the wire was unhooked and not just the open lead unhooked from the solenoid.
The drop to 8v would show a short in the harness if it was unhooked from the solenoid and the key energized.

The Force power

Commander
You didn't include the wire was unhooked and not just the open lead unhooked from the solenoid.
The drop to 8v would show a short in the harness if it was unhooked from the solenoid and the key energized.[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

Good point, a short is another possibility; let's hope it's just a deteriorated wire/connections

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Well it turns out after all the testing and swapping parts to no avail; I took a look at the way the choke operates manually -just by moving by hand. It felt a bit hard to move and so I decided to see if the springs were the issue. Sure enough someone wound the top carb spring rather tense, so when I adjusted them both correctly the choke works like charm.

The Force power

Commander
Well it turns out after all the testing and swapping parts to no avail; I took a look at the way the choke operates manually -just by moving by hand. It felt a bit hard to move and so I decided to see if the springs were the issue. Sure enough someone wound the top carb spring rather tense, so when I adjusted them both correctly the choke works like charm.
That's great, but it does not explain the voltage-drop

So..What is the voltage at the solenoid-terminal with the plunger engaged? what is the voltage with the solenoid disconnected?

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Solenoid Connected; I got 8.74v, both at the switch and at solenoid. No questionable connection issues as I replaced it all. The wiring checked out( direct not via harness). I’m thinking I may have to look around for a new ign switch in near future, the ones probably the original and looking pretty abused.

The Force power

Commander
Solenoid Connected; I got 8.74v, both at the switch and at solenoid. No questionable connection issues as I replaced it all. The wiring checked out( direct not via harness). I’m thinking I may have to look around for a new ign switch in near future, the ones probably the original and looking pretty abused.

If the wire in your harness is good, you could just install a push-button Switch near your ignition switch that would energize the solenoid-wire

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
I thought of that and I do have one laying around. Will cross that bridge when I get to it. Right now it seems to be working

The Force power

Commander
What’s the right position for the choke in the clamp; manual is vague explaining this...?

I'd like to revise my earlier statement on this.

The right position for the solenoid in the clamp;

Push the Shutter-assembly shut (with rod/plunger connected) make sure the plunger is as deep as possible inside the solenoid adjustment can be made; by sliding the solenoid up/down in the clamp.

The importance of the plunger bottom-out in the solenoid is to prevent excessive draw/burn-out coil in solenoid.

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Hey
thanks for the friendly advice.yeah I figured out this one already. Sending PM

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If it's in the right position.
When the keys activates the choke, it should snap into place.
Fast and no drag.

Carb cleaner to clean the old grease/oil and then motor oil as a lube.
Grease can gum it up.

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Jerryjerry05
I’ve got it all working now. I probably should start another thread here but now I’m encountering a overcharge issue and my temp gage is literally digging up -no idea here