1988 force 125hp will not start(recirc system?)

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Hey Guys
So after replacing the block on my 1988 force 125hp. Started and ran for at least 30 min in a bin no problem as I made minor adjustments. Next day would not start. spent all day trying to figure out whats keeping it from starting. Things done and checked; fresh fuel, new plugs, resistance checked coils, stator and trigger. compression tested perfect, and has spark. checked fuel filter, fuel pump, both carbs, floats adjustments and needles, linc and sync. Checked all the recirc. system check valves.

The Force power

Commander
Hey man, I know the frustration!!!

The problem your having, I went trough it.
make sure the battery if good!! I mean good not just enough surface-voltage but enough cranking-amps.
I also experienced; that tweaking a warm motor that those settings not always work on a cold one.
in my case I had spark on all cylinders but #2/#3 would spark not when it was supposed to and the engine would "run in a barrel" and you know too that you can't really load them up in a barrel.

I'm not saying that's the case but it sound the problems I had

good luck, don't give up is the only (useless) advise I can give you right now

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks
Yeah I just went out to verify spark on all and getting little or no spark on any cylinder whereas yesterday the thing ran beautifully and passed all tests. Im thinking something electrical and stupid like a rectifier. Loosing sleep over this -how much its eating at me that after all the work and effort...now this

The Force power

Commander
disconnect the kill wires & the wires going to the rectifier make sure that battery/cables/connections are actually good

Jiggz

Captain
As mentioned, disconnect the kill wire (white wire) from the engine terminal. Make sure you move it off ground. Note, with this you also disabled turning off the engine (if it rans) from the ignition switch. And the only way to stop the engine is by grounding the white wire again. Others disconnect the fuel (from the quick disconnect to starve the engine of fuel and turn off.

If no start still, disconnect the rectifier, again tape off the wires you disconnected.

If not start still, use a spray bottle to spray directly into the carbs while cranking it over?

Make sure the starter is cranking strong and full speed. Jumper in a known good battery if it's not cranking at full speed. If problem persists, disconnect the negative (black) wire from the engine block, wire brush it clean and shiny and do the same with the mating surface. Reconnect and test again. If starter is still slow then it's time to open and clean the starter.

Post your results.

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
well I swapped rectifiers no luck, swapped starters no luck...but ran out of daylight here so itll have to wait for tomrw afternoon after work. Im reading up on all kinds of literature and possible culprits... Thanks guys-this is a great site

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Load test the battery.-----Take starter apart for inspection and testing.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
It sounds like the starter is working.
You try starting fluid?

Now that you've spent the day trying to start, you could have flooded the system and
made it harder to start, change the plugs or pull them and heat them with a propane torch.
Just don't over do the heat.

Might be the floats are stuck?
On the 125 the float bowls are easy to access, undo the nuts holding the bowl on.
Then squeeze the ball and pump gas through the system until the gas flows out both carbs.

Had one motor that wouldn't start unless it was tilted up.
Tilt it all the way and try to start using the choke.
When it coughs, stutters, starts drop the motor and then try starting again.

Since it was running and you shut it off?? you could have sheared the flywheel key?
For some reason they tend to shear when you shut the motor off?
Had that happen to one of my NEW motors back in 88.

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Haven’t done the starting fluid but went through the carbs. Interesting “tilt” issue though to consider.have plenty of spare parts laying around so im weeding through possibilities. I hope it’s not the flywheel key

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
So I went ahead and tried doing as Jerryjerry05 had suggested and tilt the motor up and spray some starter fluid in to the carbs...fired right up !! Idles great👍
thank you and I will update after I drop it in the salt in a couple of days to finalize adjustments