What brand 2 cycle oil does everyone you use for your 50:1 fuel mix?

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey everyone, I was just curious what brand 2 stroke oil you guys use and why you choose to use it? Ive been thinking about trying different brands and seeing what the differences are, if any. Maybe save some money if possible. Im sure this topic has been beat to death but I cant find any threads on BRAND types. They all just talk about making sure its TCW-3 and to make sure ratio is 50:1.

So what do you use and why?

Thanks!

Ive only tried one brand so far and its called "Quicksilver 2-Stroke Advanced Premium Plus Synthetic Marine Engine Oil".

Hamhouse

Cadet
That's a pretty common brand of oil, albeit a pricey one I'd bet. Personally I have a newer oil injected Tohatsu 40hp, and a 1970 Johnson 60hp that needs 40:1 mix so I look for an oil that will be suitable for both. Current jug is a Canadian Tire no-name brand "premium" outboard oil. I think as long as you ensure it has the TCW-3 or whatever your service manual requires, the brand doesn't matter. Lots of people would swear to the brand they use, but in reality I believe they all fill the bill.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Any TCW3 is OK!!
I use Walmart oil.
Have for years, and years with no oil related failures.

Some use the more expensive oils like Amsoil to cut down on the smoke
but I don't care if it smokes out the guy next to me.:)(helps keep bugs away)

History on TCW
They made a special for outboard motor oil turns out it had so much ash that it carboned
up the cyl./ring that failure was immanent. Had to re-ring both my motors within 1 year using that oil.(I used my boat a LOT)
Then TCW 2 was introduced, same problem, carbon on the rings, had to re-ring one of my motors.
Then TCW3 came out and that stopped the carbon fouling.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Ive only tried one brand so far and its called "Quicksilver 2-Stroke Advanced Premium Plus Synthetic Marine Engine Oil".
That is one of the three oils I run. The other two are Evinrude XD-50 and Pennzoil Premium Plus.

I run nothing but semi-synthetics. Keeps the motor from loading up after long hours trolling. Reduced smoke to helps keep passengers from getting sea sick.

redfury

Commander
Walmart oil. I use it in my cars too. Youtuber "Project Farm" put Walmart oil up against Amsoil and Royal Purple and they all performed pretty much the same with some very slight differences. For the price, LubeTech does the job for me, and I've sent out oil samples for my 2000 Bonneville after running it in the car for over 20,000 miles worth of oil changes, came back pretty much the same from when I started to the last one. Good enough for me.

topgun3690

Ensign
Can't go wrong with the Quicksilver Synthetic....it's what I have been using...seems to smoke a little less than the Pennzoil Premium.

topgun3690

Ensign
Have been using the WalMart TCW-3 in my diesel truck as an additive for ULSD fuel, for lubricity.....might start using it in the outboard too since some folks on here seem to like it. IDK