Power trim motor not working in UP??

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Went to hit the trim switch to raise the motor and all i hear is the relay clicking but the trim motor is not powering on.

So I took the cover off the trim motor. I cleaned off the copper commutator. Magnets inside housing were fine. Nothing appeared burnt or melted. Also sanded the two little brushes and checked voltages when hitting the switch on the console. Both wires were showing 12v.

I can here both relays clicking when working the switch up and down.

Both the green and the blue wire were getting 12v when hitting the switch. I tested the wires where they connect to the brushes inside the motor cover. Down (green wire) works fine but Up (blue wire) does not spin the motor but that wire is getting 12.6v???

I cant figure this one out. The trim and tilt were working fine about 2 weeks ago before i had lower unit issues and when i tried to lift the motor today it wouldnt go up.

I know its not the switch because the wires are getting 12.6 volts. Doesnt make sense. Seems like a dirty connection or theres an issue with the motor windings perhaps??But cleaning the armature and brushes did not solve the problem...

Anyone have any idea how i can troubleshoot this issue? Thanks.

I should say I had a slight intermittent issue about 4 trips ago. When I got to the lake the same thing happened but after hitting the switch maybe 3 times the motor finally turned on and the it trimmed up. Now Ive tried it I dont know how many times and its just dead but the blue wire has 12volts when and only when i hit the switch.

Last edited:

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Tried that. Also switched green and blue wires coming from switch. Same thing. Grrrrrrr!

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
I put a charger on the house battery and after about 20 minutes I tried the switch again and it worked for about 1 second. Then back to not working.

Before I put a charger on the battery I checked its voltage and it was about 12.5v or so. So Im not sure it was low enough to affect the trim motor. I checked grounds and they are solid. I removed the armature and checked continuity/resistance and it doesnt show anything abnormal. I really dont get it.

Could it possibly have to do with lack of battery power? When I was checking voltages at the motor cover I noticed the up blue wire was showing maybe .15v lower than the down green wire.

Intermittent issues drive me crazy.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
IF?? you hear clicking the switch is ok.
If you can start the motor, the battery's hot enough.

Sounds like the relays or the connections are the problem.

Test light=TL: someone at the switch: Blue wire, up. Green wire down.
Have your helper go up on the switch.
At the blue wire relay, TL should have power on the blue wire relay to the pump.
Do the same for down.
If you have power at both wires, the problem could be a bad ground??

I had that problem and the wire broke at the contact point under the cap where the brushes set.

The relays can be found at about any auto store.
The bad: the mounting tab won't be on them.

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Switched relays again and backprobed output wires Blue and Green at the connector to relay connection. Looks like one of the relays is bad.

After switching relays the Green wire is now getting only maybe 10volts. The blue wire is now getting 13v. Fully charged battery. So i think i overlooked the first time i switched relays.

Ill order a new one and see if that fixes the problem.

Last edited:

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
I split the cover off the relay for the up circuit and sure enough the contacts inside were wore all the way down. Im positive a new relay should fix the problem. Thanks for the tips guys. Im always grateful for the help on this site.

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
New relays fixed the problem. Oddly enough the BOSCH relays are now being made in Portugal instead of Germany. Time will tell how long these last.

Part # Bosch 332209150 if anyone needs it. These are the OEM replacement relays with the mounting ear.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I imagine ANY country is better at making them than China.
The Chinese make some really CRAPPY S^%$.