150 force tilt & trim

Jiggz

Captain
I've seen the line swap done.

Guy calls me and says: got a new 300$ pump and motor.
Was a B*&^% hooking up and still not working right.

If all components are dismounted and loose , yes this is very possible. But with preformed tubings and all components mounted, it's really very hard to inadvertently connect tubes to the wrong hole on the VB. Even with the correct hole it's still a struggle and can easily stripped threads if not careful. Hence, recommend loosening the other end for a little wiggle play to get it started. Of course, that is just my own personal experience.

johnny acorn

Cadet
I cannot manually tilt the motor with the lines connected. If I disconnect lines I can manually tilt the motor and it will force the fluid out. I am suspecting a valve in pump not opening. It looks to me that I have to remove outboard to remove pump and cylinders. I sure appreciate you guys helping me. I will try to remove unit and take pump apart.

Jiggz

Captain
Did the system used to work before or is this boat "new to me" that you recently acquired?

Zink357

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It looks to me that I have to remove outboard to remove pump and cylinders. I sure appreciate you guys helping me. I will try to remove unit and take pump apart.

You don't have to take the tilt/trim motor off to access the valve body. Just 4 screws hold the VB onto the bottom of the TT motor. There is detailed instructions on how to take the VB apart in one of the stickies at the top of the forum. You might be able to take it apart and clean it and that will make it work if something is just stuck. Might as well replace what seals you can while you're in there.

If you do need to remove the TT motor, there is one bolt that makes it very difficult to remove with the engine there, but I was able to get mine off without taking the outboard off so it is possible, but I think I was lucky. I used a small needlenose type vise-grip pliers. Good luck.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
When you remove the pump.
There is NOTHING in the pump you can fix...
Don't undo any nuts or bolts.
Undoing the nut will probably break the stud and :(

The shuttle valve in the bottom can be serviced but be really careful or it can be killed
real easy.
Read the sticky's posted in the top 4 posts of this forum.

johnny acorn

Cadet
Thank you guys so much for the help. I couldn't find cap and plug fittings at my auto stores or ace hardware. I ordered new pump but it didn't fix prob. Will be back later with more ? Probably. I have removed t/t from boat. Hope i can post pics soon.
Thanks again.

johnny acorn

Cadet
jerryjerry05 My T/T looks like your pic. I have removed from boat, flushed & refilled. Have connected lines as in your pic. Trim and Tilt cylinders both extend and retract at same time. I thought the trim should fully extend before tilt began extending and thought tilt should retract before trim cyl. Your thoughts?

johnny acorn

Cadet
Jiggz - Jiggz
My T/T looks like your pic. I have removed from boat, flushed & refilled. Have connected lines as in your pic. Trim and Tilt cylinders both extend and retract at same time. I thought the trim should fully extend before tilt began extending and thought tilt should retract before trim cyl. Your thoughts?
Jiggz

Attachments

• photo322109.jpg
    photo322109.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If your testing off the boat???
It will push both rams at the same time.
You need the pressure/load to make it work right.

A "new" pump can be bad right out of the box?????
99% of the new products are made in China and they are JUNK!!!!!

Auto Zone has the pipe plugs and other hardware to help with the leak down test.

IF?? the pump's working right then the tilt ram is leaking.
They can be rebuilt.
You just need the right spanner wrench.
Soaking in PB Blaster helps get them apart.

johnny acorn

Cadet
THANKS jerry> I WILL REINSTALL AND SEE IF WORKS OK. I SUSPECT AFTER FLUSHING AND REFILLING UNIT IT MAY BE OK.

johnny acorn

Cadet
Well jerry, i got plugs for pump but couldn't get caps for lines. I disconnected lines to trim cyl. And plugged pump holes. Tilt works and has lots of power. I think that when trim is hooked up it must let pressure leak back into pump and then trim can't have enough pressure. Any thoughts on this??

johnny acorn

Cadet
Finally able to upload pic. For force 150. Tilt works fine with lots of power when plug off trim cyl. When trim connected tilt doesn't have enough power to lift engine. To me it indicates leakback through trim. Any help? Sorry about multiple posts. I am learning. Thanks to you guys for help. Now i need to find rebuild kit for trim cylinder.

Attachments

• photo322109.jpg
    photo322109.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The 3/16 inverted flare(female) 1/8 plug.
3/16 inverted flare plug (male)
Home depot??
You HAVE to get these or get the pressure gauge($$$)
You need to do the tests or you'll just be guessing.
If the rebuild and new pump don't work?? Then the tilt ram is probably leaking down???