Help ID these parts - ‘97 Force 75

Jamonit

Cadet
I took my LU off my ‘98 (not ‘97) outboard and replaced the water pump. Went to put it back on and seem to have a water pump tube, some driveshaft seals, and an unidentified tube/seal assembly I can’t identify.

Any help out there?

Attachments

• photo318214.jpg
    photo318214.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Jiggz

Captain
The two black parts goes on top of the drive shaft. The taller one is the drive shaft spline seal (boot) and the shorter one is the spline seal retainer. So the taller one (spline seal) goes on top of the spline seal retainer and both goes on top of the drive shaft.

The short white tube looks like the water pump tube seal that goes on top of the impeller housing. The taller white tube looks like an extension of the tube seal but not really sure. You would have to look under the LU with a flashlight to see where it goes.

Here's a pic of the spline seal and retainer.

Attachments

• photo296051.jpg
    photo296051.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I think the tall one goes into/onto the tube from the motor.
It might be upside down.
Kinda like a tube to keep it in place when reassembling.

Jamonit

Cadet
That’s what I thought too but they don’t mate at all. I’m at a standstill trying to figure out where this $&!(? Piece goes...

Jiggz

Captain
After much research, I believe that tall white tube is the sleeve for upper part of the water tube. It should go up to the water tube and supposed to be held in place by the upper water seal. It cannot be positioned at the bottom of the water tube since this will prevent the water pump tube seal from being inserted into the water tube.

Tilt the motor all the way up and see if these sleeve will go through the water tube. From the below pic (95-70HP but should be about the same) it seems there should be a second piece of water tube, but not really sure. By the way, is these all the parts that came off when you removed the LU? I'm just wondering if there was another copper/brass tubing that you did not include in the pics since you already know what it is.

Attachments

• photo318277.png
    photo318277.png
    62.2 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The 97 75 doesn't show that piece at all.
How much time you spend looking??

Jamonit

Cadet
I never did find out where that unidentified part goes. Putting the LU back on the motor tomorrow and hoping for the best!

Separate question: any advantages to running the motor in a big plastic garbage can of water vs. with muffs on?

Thanks,
-Jamonit

Jiggz

Captain
The only advantage of running it on in a garbage can under water, is it also tests the unit for leaking exhaust fumes backing up into the motors inside cowling. While if on muffs, there is no back up pressure for the exhaust hence unable to tell if you have exhaust leaking into the cowling. And of course, less water usage on muffs depending how long you ran the motor.

You might want to do some measuring before slapping the LU back on. If the water tube is short and unable to mate with the water pump housing, you will not have cooling water to the engine block and can result in some serious damage to the powerhead.