Brand new plugs...???

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Growing up I knew NOTHING about mechanics.
If I needed something I'd ask my older brother if he'd show me how to do it.
Then eventually he'd push me out of the way and finish the job.

Then I moved 500 mi away and all of a sudden I had to fix it myself or PAY$$$ for someone to fix it,

Turns out I was fairly handy with wrenches and liked it.
Then got into working on boats and now my brother asks ME for help when he can't figure things out.

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I sure have appreciated all the feedback on this site. It has helped me solve my problems and Ive learned so much in such a short amount of time. And yet I still have so much more to learn of course! I always recommend this site to anyone i know that has boat problems. Cant say enough about you guys and the time you put in trying to help others. You definitely deserve more recognition for your contributions!

As for my issue and to get back on track. Ive been reading that coughing when starting is normal. And the plugs seem like they load up when idling. I assume with the Force outboards there isnt much else that can be done to deal with this issue?

The Force power

Commander
DunbarLtd;n10812985 As for my issue and to get back on track. Ive been reading that coughing when starting is normal. And the plugs seem like they load up when idling. I assume with the Force outboards there isnt much else that can be done to deal with this issue? [/QUOTE said:
NO, it's not "normal" I would give every from timing/fuel a once over

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You can richen up the low speed mix to get rid of the coughing at start up.-----But when you do that you sacrifice a smoother idle once motor has warmed up.-----This low speed cough is not well understood and it baffles many folks as to why 2 stroke motors do this !!-----Understanding what the ----lel limits for gasoline ------are is a good start.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Smoke can be contributed to running at an idle, running tests and the fuel/oil mix doesn't get
burned all the way.
The more expensive oils can reduce the smoke.
The cough on startup? tool lean? not firing right away and the carb's flooding.
Timing, float levels, air screw, idle rpm's low, low comp, weak/cold plugs? Can contribute to harder starting

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Are you saying the " fuel oil / mix " has to burn in a 2 stroke ?-----Or some of the oil burns?-----Or how does this work in a DIRECT injected 2 stroke where oil is NOT mixed with the gas ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When I read post # 25 you are saying the fuel oil mix " has to burn all the way " ----Not sure what you mean there.------The oil portion of the mix " DOES NOT HAVE TO BURN "----Oil does burn off the cylinder walls more so than in a 4 stroke engine.

The Force power

Commander
When I read post # 25 you are saying the fuel oil mix " has to burn all the way " ----Not sure what you mean there.------The oil portion of the mix " DOES NOT HAVE TO BURN "----Oil does burn off the cylinder walls more so than in a 4 stroke engine.

racerone,

I have a question about this;
The oil in the pre-mix will partially burn just not all, that's why it's being collected and through the re-circulation system re-introduced to burn-off correct?

I've never worked on 4-stroke engines in that particular depth. but I thought that a 4-stroke should not burn oil at all but will burn oil in case of excessive blow-by

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On a 4 stroke a thin , very , very thin film of oil is left on the cylinder wall to lubricate the piston rings.----That does burn off on a 4 stroke .----It is normal for a 4 stroke to use some oil.----Some folks have difficulty accepting the facts.----And you really do not want the oil in a 2 stroke to " burn off " It is just something that happens.----You would like all the oil to stay behind on the bearings / cylinder walls.------How well the oil stays behind determines how much oil is mixed with the fuel too keep it running smoothly for years and years.

The Force power

Commander
.----And you really do not want the oil in a 2 stroke to " burn off " It is just something that happens.----You would like all the oil to stay behind on the bearings / cylinder walls.------How well the oil stays behind determines how much oil is mixed with the fuel too keep it running smoothly for years and years.

thank you for the explanation

But it has to burn/get rid of otherwise the crank-case would fill with oil, this kind of explained my earlier discovery in my other post. Seeing a small metal-tube in the exhaust port & squirting left-over oil into the cylinder on the up stoke

so it's not actually "burning-up" rather dumped into the cylinder and pushed out on the down-stroke

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
From the above post."But it has to burn/get rid of otherwise the crank-case would fill with oil, this kind of explained my earlier discovery in my other post."

The excess fuel gets recirculated.