Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

85hp Engine block head cover. RTV type???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85hp Engine block head cover. RTV type???

I am replacing the head gasket and need to seal the cover onto the head. No gasket required.

Does anyone know what type of sealant to use on the cylinder head cover for an 88' Force 85hp outboard?

Manual says silicone rubber so Im assuming black rtv will work? Or is the a better product available for this application?
    Last edited by DunbarLtd; July 9th, 2019, 07:40 PM.

For the water jacket cover at the head you can use any liquid gasket brand.
    I use Permatex but RTV that can handle a temperature up to 70-80 dgr centigrade.
    The hottest part of the cover is just around the plugs and 70-80 dgr centigarde is normal there.

Comment

I use black Permatex sillycone.
      Black because the other colors look funny when it squishes out

Buy American made Cars and Trucks!!!Towing insurance for a boat,a GREAT thing.
      ​Tools to make my life easier: Battery tester, die grinder, temp.gun, compression tester, DVA meter.

In Scenic , Beautiful San Sebastian by the sea Florida

88 Bayliner 21CC 2001 Mercury 225 HP EFI

PLEASE,NO PERSONAL MESSAGES IF THE QUESTION CAN BE ASKED ON THE OPEN FORUM

Comment

While it is not in the book I used Hylomar blue so that it can be easily removed and reassembled.
        Actually I used Hylomar blue for the whole engine assembly.
        I figure that if it is good enough for Rolls Royce it's good enough for me,

Comment

Yup you don't seem many(any) RR broke down on the Intercoastal!!!

Buy American made Cars and Trucks!!!Towing insurance for a boat,a GREAT thing.
          ​Tools to make my life easier: Battery tester, die grinder, temp.gun, compression tester, DVA meter.

In Scenic , Beautiful San Sebastian by the sea Florida

88 Bayliner 21CC 2001 Mercury 225 HP EFI

PLEASE,NO PERSONAL MESSAGES IF THE QUESTION CAN BE ASKED ON THE OPEN FORUM

Comment

Working...
          X