Force 150 Water Pump Impeller Replacement--what parts do I need?

arriva2001

Seaman
Hi,
I have a 1994 Force 150 Outboard motor. I want to service the water pump impeller because the overheat alarm went off last time we used it (I shut it down right away). My boat is stored at my parents' house 200 miles from me--so I want to make sure i bring all possible parts that i might need with me--because I only have one shot to fix this without having to take another trip. I purchased the new impeller, two gaskets, and a wear plate. Is there anything else that I might need to have on hand to service the water pump? Are there other wear parts or things that in the worst case scenario will need to be replaced? I would rather have those on hand "just in case" than not since I'm making a trip to do this work. Any thoughts? Also, any gotchas I need to watch for when doing this work? Do I need to drain the gearcase first? I watched a couple of youtube videos and have the factory service manual. But it doesn't really go super into detail like I was hoping. When I reinstall the lower unit, do I need loctite or anti sieze on the bolts and driveshaft? Thanks in advance for your help.

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Maybe get the impeller drive key just in case it is worn or you drop it and it disappears. No need to put anything on the bolts, and never use anti-seize on an outboard. It causes some weird electrolysis corrosion with the dissimilar metals being submerged in water. It is a pretty straight forward job, just pay attention to the shift connector position before and after. It doesn't really matter what gear it's in as long as it is the same going together as when you took it apart.

arriva2001

Seaman
thank you for your help! I'll see if I can find the part number for the drive key and just buy it to be safe. Question on the shift connector comment. I was thinking I should put the gear shift handle into forward so that when I take it all apart and then try to put it back together...it's only one piece moving rather than two (like it would be with Neutral). Is that the right approach? I had also heard that I should use 2-4-c Quiksilver grease on the driveshaft splines when I reinstall everything. Is that a good thing to do?

arriva2001

Seaman
Thanks! I purchased the full kit you mentioned just to be safe since this is my first time doing this work. I will have the extra impeller and gaskets for next time! Not sure I’m following your comment about slotted screw on nose cone. Is that on the water pump assembly itself? Or are you referring to the screw on low end of lower unit near propeller shaft?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Not near the water pump.
Sometimes when changing oil the screw is removed thinking it's the drain plug.
It holds the shift mechanism in place.
Find a parts diagram and look for
Pin, Gear Shift Arm
Might be #6 ???

arriva2001

Seaman
Thank you. I know which screw you are talking about. Is there any need to drain the gear oil before servicing the water pump? I have fresh gear oil from winterizing it—and was just gonna leave it in there.

arriva2001

Seaman
Just to follow up--I replaced the water pump, and it was successful! The pressure gauge is reading much higher PSI's now even at idle. Should be good for another year or two now! Thanks for everyone's help!