Throttle adjust 95 40hp force

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
First of all I want to say I did search the forums for this but to two posts I found were both shut down by someone saying " its been dealt with a hundred times-search the forum". That being said...

I have a 95 force 40hp. Installed new control cables to my quicksiler remote.

The problem is if I adjust the cable so cam hits the throttle at the mark at idle, I get no where near full throttle. If I adjust the cable to get full throttle then the idle is far too high.

Must be a simple solution to this but I just cant for the life of me figure it out.

A couple of things. There are two adjustable shafts. One from the cable to the towershaft. The other from the towershaft to the throttle. Also the barrels move around inside the holder and the cables also have lots of play.

So for instance I can adjust the throttle cable ( by the barrel ) to get full throttle and when i return the control to neutral it will be in the perfect idle position IF i move the play in the cable by hand.

Its like if there was a return spring everyhing would be perfect but there isnt so I have no idea.

Any help would really be apreciated as its driving me nuts and stopping me from getting on the water!

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
A little background. I bought the motor and controls together from the same boat. It was a pontoon so the 20ft control cables needed replacing as they are now on a 15 footer.

Seems if i adjust the barrels so the neutral is set on the shift cable and the cam mark is set on the throttle cable all should be good.

And it is all good to a degree. It shifts from forward to reverse and returns to idle. The problem is it only goes to maybe half throttle in forward.

Its the only thing thats stopping me from water testing the boat.

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Jerryjerry05. I believe that the shift cable is in the right position. I attached in neutral as a slip fit over the pin. That being said Im confused the the barrels are not snug in the trough and that the cable ends have so much "slide" play.

The way it is attached is that the hole in the cable is perfectly in line with the pin in neutral but thats with the cables play bottomed out, if that makes sense?

As I write this it occurs to me one direction ( shift lever towards prop ) is a solid cable push and the other would have to take up the slack before it engages.

The throttle cable is set up in the same way. And now I think of it some more it seems it has to be that way.

The fast idle is not engaged.

I did order a manual last night which should be here within a week.

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Manual arrived. Does not help at all. Any input would be much appreciated. Perhaps if someone could measure lengths of the two linkage shafts off the tower incase this one was messed with before I bought it. Thanks!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
MTUzMTkz-c94aa9e4.png

The top posts(1-4) have a post by FrankA it show the basic setup of the linkage.
Also Frank made a video, on U-tube covering the same.
I worked on one that someone changed the rods and put them on upside down.
The pic below should help a little.

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I saw Frank's post but isn't that for an 87 ( chrysler ) 3 carb 85 horse or similar? This is a 95 ( mercury ) single carb 40 horse. Am I missing something or do these seemingly completely different engines set up the same? Thanks.

My main frustration ,and hell is it frustrating, is lack of knowledge of shift cables, adjusting barrels and barrel holders.

The cables have, I dont know, maybe an inch of play at end of travel each way. The barrels also just flop around in the holders. The holder being twice as wide as the barrels.

Are they sopposed to be snug in the holders?

I know this sounds dumb but with the play in the cables and the play of the barrels in the holders I just figure out something that should clearly be very very simple.

As it is the amount of play gives me either perfect idle and only half throttle or full throttle and half throttle - not idle.

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok so Im gonna go out on a limb and say there isn't a problem at the motor end. Its late and Ill check tomorrow but im guessing that the note on the cable packaging saying that they are only adjustable at the motor end is not true....well that might strictly be true but... Im thinking there is an adjustment in the control box that allows for longer cable travel. ( which in my mind at least is adjustment ).

I'm keeping this post alive in case it helps someone.
Maybe like me they read the cable instructions and disregarded the control box as far as adjustment goes.

I'm going to be relieved and also feel stupid ( and a little annoyed at the cable instructions ) as I'll freely admit I've spent literally hours taking the trottle cable on and of and adjusting!!!

If there is no adjustment in the control box I think I'll just tow it out and sink it!!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Mercury controls.
There is no adjustment on the shift end.
It sounds like the bushings are missing on the connector.
Post a closeup pic of the area where the cable is hooked.
Both shift and throttle.
Pic of the shifter.

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok. So I havent had a chance to take pictures yet but im pretty sure the controls as in this picture I stole from another post.

Where the cables attach there are aditional holes [2]
where it looks like you can lower the cable to get move travel. Its cable travel that I need.

Ill check when I get home. Again this isnt my picture. And yes just the shift cable is attached in the picture.

Attachments

• photo316685.png
    photo316685.png
    1 MB · Views: 1

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
jerryjerry I'm sorry the link doesn't show up for me. Do you have a mercury part number?

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
For anyone reading this in case it wasn't clear all I need is more cable travel. For example is I need 3" I only have 2 1/2". These are just an example. The shifter is just not moving enough cable.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
IF?? that'[s the same shifter and yours is setup the same??
Then you can move the cable to another hole.

My Mercury shifter has only one place for the cable to attach.
Image result for mercury outboard shifter pictures

Pic of my Mercury shifter.

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Jerry thanks for all of your help. I have the quicksilver commander 2000 side control I believe.
I just realized that there is a steering and controls section not motor specific which is where I should have posted this.
Apologies to all!

Hopefully if its not raining too bad when I get home I can pop open the controls, post my findings, and end this thread!

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok. To start....no adjustment that I can see...

Attachments

• photo316706.jpg
    photo316706.jpg
    727.1 KB · Views: 2

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Now the motor ends. Yes in this picture the throttle bolt is not attached.

Attachments

• photo316708.jpg
    photo316708.jpg
    809.2 KB · Views: 1

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
So.... with the gear cable conected so that the forward and reverse engage in the right position before the throttle engages ( forward reverse neutral all work perfectly ) the throttle only goes to half throttle.

Attachments

• photo316709.jpg
    photo316709.jpg
    756.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316711.jpg
    photo316711.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 0

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is how the barrels fit in the holder. Is this even correct. Lots of side to side movement of the barrels.

Attachments

• photo316714.jpg
    photo316714.jpg
    738.2 KB · Views: 1

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know this control came with this motor. I've seen bass trackers ( I think ) on youtube with this same set up of motor and controls. What I need to do is get the shifter to physically move the inner control cable a longer distance. The throw is for some reason not long enough. If anyone can help it would be MUCH appreciated as Ive been trying to figure this out for 2 weeks and its driving me insane!