Replaced impeller, now engine won't start

Ewhitte

Recruit
1992 Mercury Force 50Hp.
​Replaced my impeller. As I screwed down the housing, after getting the impeller in, the drive shaft wouldn't turn, and the propeller, even though it spins in neutral with the motor off, barely spins, unlike before. If I loosen the screws a little, maybe a turn or two, everything spins and turns like it did before.

Now my motor doesn't crank. BEFORE replacing the impeller, it would crank right up Every time. No problem. New battery, and new cables have been installed as well.​​​​​​ And before screwing down the water pump housing, I spun the drive shaft a little to seat the new impeller. I spun it the correct direction.

https://youtu.be/--eERQr2ikY

JWitt

Cadet
When you loosen the screws to allow free spinning in nuetral, are you referring to the lower unit screws or water pump housing screws?

Zink357

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Did you get the correct impeller for your motor? Sounds like maybe it is too big and you are squishing it in there?

Ewhitte

Recruit
I got the exact part number.

With everything put together, the prop moves freely, stiff, but freely in neutral. When I turn the flywheel (not sure if I can Do that or not) it spins like normal, no extra force needed, and the prop spins a little. That's where I'm at right now until I buy another battery this weekend.

Zink357

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Something is holding it too tight for the starter to even turn the engine over. When you say the prop moves freely but stiff, was that before or after putting the lower unit back on the motor? Very strange for sure. Something is not right. If it works fine with those housing bolts loose, then it is with the new parts. All gaskets and the metal plate are new? Did you compare the old impeller with the new one side by side to see if the new one is taller?

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
With everything back together, you should be able too turn the flywheel clockwise by hand

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Also the battery must be fully charged with no bad cells. Have the battery load tested at autozone, if you don't have a tester.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
While your waiting, clean the starter.
Had the same problem, with a Mercury.
Very slow almost no turning over.
Checked everything and cleaned the starter.
Fixed.
The starter, while dirty it didn't look like it was bad??
Changed the brushes and cleaned the armature.
That was the fix.