1990 force 90 2 stroke using WAAAY to much fuel

tallboymo

Recruit
Trying to breath life into my old 90 force. Took the carbs off and cleaned them all out. It was not running before I did that. Now it will start and run but used 2 gal of fuel in 10 minutes! The bulb will not get and stay hard, but I don't know where the fuel is going when I pump it. I put a clear inline fuel filter on and can see the fuel gushing through it. Any ideas on where to start looking would be appreciated.

Nordin

Commander
Check the fuel pump diaphragm.
If it is worn and have holes or is ripped, fuel will go direct into the crank case.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
it will start and run but used 2 gal of fuel in 10 minutes! The bulb will not get and stay hard

Was combo running lightly, medium or fully loaded at which throttle range ? Does the motor loses performance as if working with less fuel when at 3/4 to full throttle ? The bulb once primed till firm won't remain same when motor is in operation, plainly normal...

Happy Boating

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Sea Rider, he said it wouldn't get hard at all.
If the bulb won't get or stay hard?
Then the diaphragm in the pump or the squeezie is bad.
Even a NEW squeezie can be bad. Had 3 Tempo squeezie's bad right out of the box.
Your right about the ball won't stay hard after starting.
It's only job is to draw fuel from the tank and pressurize/fill the system.
After start it just sets there.

Even running at 3/4 throttle it shouldn't use 2 gal. in 10 min.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
OK, If fuel pump diaphragm is in excellent shape, personally would test combo as usually loaded on a wot run on flat, calm water cond to check max revs said motor achieves. Compare it with the min-max manufacturers wot rpm range to see if inside its rpm range, running any motor badly propped will guzzle more fuel in the 3/4 to full hammer down range compared to same motor correctly propped for that application. A wot run will determine so..

For best fuel consumption, motor should be running at least middle to max wot rpm range as usually loaded, if with a fixed load much better. Once there can throttle at your preferred rpm range.

Other point to consider is that it's a medium large 2 stroke motor, those guzzles 13-14 gallons per hour running full hammer down. OP has not posted at which throttle range and rpm motor was running at. You won't see the usual 10% fuel consumption per HP/hour many boaters goes by not even on new 2 strokes motors...

Happy Boating