1970 Chrysler 55 drains - catch can?

Jeffe74

Seaman Apprentice
I see that the chambers in front of the reeds are drained with hoses that tee together and go to a port on the leg. Are these the only drains on this engine?
I'm thinking of putting together some sort of catch can to avoid this.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Try to add pics?
As long as I remember it was against the law to dump fuel direct into the water???
I though they used a recirc system for unburned fuel?

Jeffe74

Seaman Apprentice
Apparently, it wasn't illegal in 1970.. :)
I sprayed some wd-40 down and it came out the leg drains. I'll take some pictures today

Jeffe74

Seaman Apprentice
Hopefully the photos display properly

In the first one you can see the lines that go to the tee fitting from the reed chambers. In the second pic you can see the fitting (center of photo) that connects to the leg.

I'd like to reroute the two lines forward and to a catch can in the boat, I need to investigate if I could maintain a downhill slope on the line.

Attachments

• photo312819.jpg
    photo312819.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo312820.jpg
    photo312820.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
That small fitting goes to the leg and drains down into the water?
Still doesn't seem right??

It seems the fitting on the bottom is for excess fuel to return up into the carbs??

Who on here has the older Chrysler? Nordin, Wickware?
Maybe someone with an older Chrysler can shed some light???

Jeffe74

Seaman Apprentice
Curious - How well does this motor run?

We started it up the other day in a barrel, my parents had it out in 1995 the last time..

I cleaned the points and checked the capacitors, it had no spark at first, rebuilt the fuel pump, carb kit and cleaning, and new water pump.
It started on the third pull, the electric start does work too. Compression at least 120 on both.

It seems to run good, hangs up a bit if you rev it, I haven't set the mixture screw yet.

Jeffe74

Seaman Apprentice
That small fitting goes to the leg and drains down into the water?
Still doesn't seem right??

It seems the fitting on the bottom is for excess fuel to return up into the carbs??

Who on here has the older Chrysler? Nordin, Wickware?
Maybe someone with an older Chrysler can shed some light???

I'll investigate more today, maybe I'll run some water down so I can better see up there. The lower is off still.

This is a Barrie, Ontario model if that would make any difference? 555BA

Nordin

Commander
Jerry that is right from jeffe74, the design was like this in the late 60.s (1965 until 1971 I think).
I have partslist for 1968 55Hp and that system is there, but in 1972 partslist that system is gone.

Both years have the recycle system with the "dogbone" but in 1972 there is a hose from crankcase to lower part of the "dogbone".
1968 no hose there, but from intake manifold two to a Y check valve and down to the midleg.

Jeffe74

Seaman Apprentice
Dogbone?
That Y on mine isn't a check valve, not anymore anyway. I can blow thru it both ways.
I don't suppose there's an easy way to add the recycle system ?

Nordin

Commander
Jeffe74 the "dogbone" is the recircle system on the star side of the engine.
We call it dogbone because the cover looks like a dogbone, even the larger Chrysler/Force engines has this dogbone.
It is under the gear shift lever, if you look closely.

I believe you that the Y is not a check valve cause I have a similar 55Hp and 45Hp Chrysler (do not remember the years) and both have this system.
I think the Y is two way on both of them, BUT the partslist says "Y check valve".

Jeffe74

Seaman Apprentice
Okay, I see what you mean.. and there is a flat spot on the bottom of the dogbone where it looks like a hose fitting could go, but there isn't one.

Nordin

Commander
Jeffe74 your engine was designed with that system as you describe with a Y connector if it is a 1970 year model.

The later system with a hose from "dogbone" to the crank case is a bit hard to apply on you engine.
Yes you can drill, thread and put a fitting at that flat spot at the recircle cover but the hose should go to a fitting at crank case.
This fitting is located at #2 intake port cover.
Then there is a hose running from the lower part of the block (port side) just above the fitting to the midleg you have at your engine and up to #1 cylinder crank case just under the flywheel and to those fittings should be a bit harder to apply.

Last edited:

Jeffe74

Seaman Apprentice
Okay, thanks, that does sound like more than I want to get in to.
I'll go ahead with the catch can for those intake hoses though, I'm curious to see how much gets caught..

Jeffe74

Seaman Apprentice
Took the boat out for the first time yesterday, this is what we got after going through about 3 gallons of gas. The can looks to be about 12oz.

​​​​​​No trolling, a mix of speeds and then about a half hour cruise around the lake... and a number of anchored stops for fishing.

It's running well, no idea of WOT rpm, but 29 mph top speed. It's a 14.5 foot runabout.

​​​​​My mounting for the can vibrated loose, I'll have to figure out some sort of rubber mount.

Attachments

• photo317635.jpg
    photo317635.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo317636.jpg
    photo317636.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 0

Jeffe74

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks. Yeah, it's half full.

The pic was taken when we got home, it's settling (separating?) a bit.