89 force 125 slow throttle response

Jiggin4Perch

Seaman Apprentice
Stator pairs ohm at 690, all trigger pairs ohm at 45. I don't have dva adapter. I moved stator wires from known sparking to the no spark line and still have no spark on 2 and the problem does not move to a knew whole. At some point I have also lost spark on 1 as well. I'm going to move all CDI wires to original locations and start testing from square one. I must be missing something. I have wiring diagrams and the original wiring stickers on the motor to follow. Is the white wire on the CDI that goes to the other side of the motor labe stop not the kill wires? I see you say at the pack so did I disconnect the wrong wires? Im getting really frustrated that i cannot find the issue and now apparently have lost spark on 1 as well. There was a faint single spark and then noting for the rest of testing. All plugs have been grounded when testing spark.

Jiggin4Perch

Seaman Apprentice
My frustration level has me at a point to where I'm going to put it all back and take a few days off. DvA adaptor is on its way as well as a 4 pack of inline spark indicators. I'm going to go over all of your guys information a couple times as well as my manual. Pick it up again if a few days after my move is over and I have a diagnostic checklist and write up a logic tree to folow. Thanks again for all your help! I'll update in a 5 ish days.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The bad: the stator can test good and still be defective :(
That's when the DVA comes in.

Jiggin4Perch

Seaman Apprentice
I just need to take a break before frustration causes oversight and errors. Move into the new house, drink a beer, fix the boat, drink a beer, go fishing. I'm probably so frustrated because this is so far out of my heavy deisle mechanic knowledge. I figured a little boat motor would be easy. I have been humbled lol! šŸ¤£

The Force power

Commander
Yeah, stepping back from things will re-fresh your view on things

I worked on Diesel engine for a living ( old Prekins engines +C201/2.2 DI/Yanmar/) to power Refrigeration-systems
besides that from weed wacker to generators anything with a combustible engine, I find that the smaller the engine; the harder to tune/run right

Jiggin4Perch

Seaman Apprentice
Spark indicators and DVA adapter came in so I hooked up the fake-a-lake and here are the numbers.

DVA/Ohm readings for Triger wire pairs are
1-.45v/48ohm,
2-.5v/48ohm,
3-.45v/48ohm,
4-.5v/48ohm.
On some pairs I had to change position of meter leads to get DVA readings, probably normal but worth mentioning.

DVA/Ohm readings for stator pairs are
1&2- 185v/.750k,
3&4- 200v./.753k.

So, all wire pairs pass Ohm test and DVA voltages are good. I repeated tests with the two CDI kill wires disconnected and isolated and still no spark on #2. I have changed coils, still no spark on #2. This leads me to believe that my CDI pack for #1-2 is bad. What do you all think?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Try swapping the packs around.
Then if the no spark goes to #4 then I'd say the pack might be bad?
You try swapping the coils?

Even if the stator tests good, it can still be bad :(

Jiggin4Perch

Seaman Apprentice
So the stator can pass voltage and ohm out but still be bad? I have swapped coils by changing the push pin connectors off the CDI and the coil is good. I will swap CDI packs this afternoon

Jiggin4Perch

Seaman Apprentice
So I swapped all CDI wires, wires behind triggers, and behind the stator supply wires, and the pin connectors to the coils. I gained strong spark on #2, kept spark on #1&#3, but lost spark on #4. This tells me that my stator is good because I have enough power to spark on all cylinders, it tells me my trigger is good because #2 is sparking, and it tells me all my coils are good. I did test with kill wires in place and isolated and had the same results. I take this to mean my CDI is bad.

Jiggin4Perch

Seaman Apprentice
One is in the mail, the part number is right but the wire colors are different. It's the wire color code of a new one from outboardignition.com. so I will use their instructions. I have a manual that should have the color code as well to double check.

Jiggin4Perch

Seaman Apprentice
Pack installed, link and sync done, got the boat in the water. Runs awesome! WOT is 5,000 rpm, GPS speed is 31 mph, prop is a 13x 15. Hole shot is acceptable and it stays hooked up in the corners really well.