Need help swapping a Chrysler 85hp with a Force 85hp

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Jombee, I would check the Chryslers harness for how many wires and the colors of the wires. See if it is the same as your Force harness. If it isn't, remove the Chrysler harness and install the Force harness. You will need the tach for the Force, the Chryslers tach will not work proper. (Jerryjerry05), if my memory is correct I seem to remember a separate smaller harness of 3 wires running along side of the main ignition harness for the tilt and trim. It has been 2 or 3 years since I did this.

jombee

Seaman Apprentice
Hi KBH

The trim & tilt 3 wires are separate and I've got that working fine.

The Chrysler harness has the same exact wires and colors as the Force harness, but the wires running out of the terminal block on the engine are slightly different. (Examples: there is no blue wire leaving the terminal on the force, and my Chrysler had 2 blue wires leaving the terminal. My Chrysler had 1 white wire leaving the terminal and the Force has 2 white wires leaving the terminal)

Nordin

Commander
Please as I wrote earlier, check out the wiring diagram at MasterTech Marine.
They have diagram for Chrysler 75-85Hp Motorola system 1980-84 and Force 125Hp Prestolite system (simial to the 85Hp just one more cylinder).

Tracing the wires from that and then you can use the Chrysler harness.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
jombee, I did the same setup on my personal boat. It's a 1978 Chrysler Courier, I removed the 1978 85hp Chrysler engine and put on a 1987 Force 85hp using the harness that the boat had installed. It's been years ago, Nordin was the kind man that helped me do it. If I was able to load a photo of the terminal block, I would just post it for you. They have changed the website and I can't upload photos even if I make them smaller. I also can't get my private messages as it shows it is busy. Can you post an email address and I'll send you photos of both the terminal block and wiring at the key switch.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
I sent you email. Let the group know when you have her running. Have fun and enjoy!

jombee

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Everyone

I used the existing Chrysler harness and rewired it at the keyswitch as instructed (by KBH & Nordin) and everything works perfectly now!

I'm looking forward to testing everything out on the water next weekend!

Thank you all very much for all of the help!

Last edited: