Stator differences?

respun

Cadet
Hello again. Does anyone know if a later model stator ('86 Force 90), will fit on an '84 Chrysler 85? I know I may have to install connectors. But other than that is there any difference?

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
They didn't make a 90hp in 1986 they made a 85hp. The stator for the 1986 fits 1986-92.

respun

Cadet
Let me rephrase that. What is the difference between the 1986 and the 1984 stators? Besides the obvious connectors.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Nothing, no difference but the connectors.
Same with the packs.

The 86 doesn't fit the 87 as they used the screwdown connectors.

The 87 and up used the screwdown connector and the early 86 and before used the plug and play.

The screwdown connectors: they have a problem with the wire, it breaks easily under the shrinkwrap.
I replace them as SOP when I work on the trigger.
Actually I replace ALL the connectors.

respun

Cadet
Thank you Jerry. Im in need of a new stator and they arent cheap. Could running both CD modules off of one pair of stator leads cause any problems? Part of the stator died when i was removing the flywheel. As a temporary fix I pigtailed both connectors off the good leads. Motor runs better than ever. Just dont want to damage any other components by running this way.

respun

Cadet
Well I have had her out a few times now. She runs great. Turning 5125 rpm at WOT. This is with the damaged stator. Battery charges fine.
So I have both cdi boxes connected to one blue and one yellow wire from stator. The other pair of blue and yellow wires is dead. Likely from smacking flywheel with hammer while removing.
My concern is the extra load on remaining good portion of the stator might cause it to overheat and fail. Is there anything I'm missing? I just don't want to fry the CDI boxes or coils.

Nordin

Commander
Does the stator have three windings? One for charging the battery and the other two to feed the CD boxes. One for each box.
If you only use one of the stator windings to feed the ignition system you maybe overload the stator.

If the loads drag more then the spec of the stator the windings will heat up and the insulation melt.
The windings will short out and the stator will fried.

I suggest you to change the stator, I think there are alot of them at Ebay if you do not want to buy a new one.

Last edited:

respun

Cadet
It finally died. Got 20 hours on it connected like I described. Ordered a new one from CDI. Installed and runs like new. Saved a few bucks by getting spade connectors and installed a terminal strip. Doing away with the round plastic connectors.
Thanks for all the input.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Great.
What kind of battery you using?
Regular starting or deep cycle?
Deep cycle can hurt the new stator.

respun

Cadet
I have both. The deep cycle only powers trolling motor. Everything else is run off the starting battery.

respun

Cadet
Have about 20 hours on new stator now. Heard a strange noise the other day. Come to find out the flywheel is loose. Tightened it up and now it's loose again. Why is this happening? Can I just locktite it or do I need to replace the locknut? Thanks again for all the help.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You can try to add Loctite or silicone.
But nothing works like the OEM.
What torque ?? 85-90#

respun

Cadet
The original key sheared and gauged up the mating surfaces. I read something about lapping compound? Unless the nut is as tight as I can get it with a 1/2" ratchet, the flywheel wobbles on the crank.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The lapping compound is used for very minor flaws.
Probably won't do much.

The drive socket wrench won't give 85-90# unless you add a piece of pipe and tighten.

You really need a tuorqe wrench.

respun

Cadet
I used locktite and torqued it to 90 ft lbs. I don't think it will come loose now. But we shall see.