1991 force 70hp

ELA

Recruit
Hey guys i need help. I recently bought a 1991 bayliner with a 1991 force 70hp. It doesn't start with the coils in the right position. I replaced the old fuel. Sealed all the gas leaks it had, replaced the power pack, the spark plugs and it just doesnt seem to start like it should. If i flip thr coils from 2 and 3 backwards sometimes it starts. I chaged the coils and no difference at all. What could be it? I need help!! Please someone.

ELA

Recruit
Also, when we switched the coils and it started we took it to the lake but once it was in reverse or gear it would choke and turn off. It does that a couple of times and after that it doesnt want to start. It just hesitates over and over again but nothing.

The Force power

Commander
check the wiring to see if its set up right as per schematic for your motor, carefully inspect every single wire-connector on the terminal-strip by tucking on lightly. (the tend to have bad connection inside the shrink-tube) make sure sure both spark-plugs are giving a good spark(check the AC voltage going to the coils from the switch-blocks/CDI) check the timing & let us know

ELA

Recruit
I will check that today, will let you know how it goes. Thanks

respun

Cadet
I had a similar situation on my Chrysler 85. When I got the boat it wouldn't start, just kept backfiring. Found that the coils #1 and #3 were switched. After sorting the coils out, it fired right up. I was lucky that nothing was damaged From the backfiring. Some very useful info can be found in the stickies at the top of the forum. Welcome aboard!

Reactions: ELA

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The 91/70 came with 2/3 different ignition systems.
outboardignitiondotcom has test procedures for your motor.
Just figure out what system you have?? PICS??

The factory manual will have a wiring diagram for your motor.
Try to find one.
Aftermarket, Clymer or Seloc might help a little?
But probably won't have the right diagrams.

Reactions: ELA

ELA

Recruit
Thanks guys, I've tried some of yalls advice. I didn't want to ruin anything so i just took it in for a diagnostic. Will keep yall posted!