Got a PM that should be asked on the forum.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Had carpal tunnel surgery and can't work on the computer as much as his questions need.

Markiecochran.
I have owned a f14 sea raider for many years. it would stall after being in the water for an hour or so then would have to cool to restart. I ordered a used stator for it...….10 years later....used stator on shelf still uninstalled I decided to get her back in the water since I just moved to a waterfront canal home.

I attempted to remove the fly wheel.....which resulted in my beating the magnets off the flywheel !!!...bigger hammer theory did not apply to this job.

after knowing the history of these engines....even though I have a matching spare parts boats....I decided against trying to remove the flywheel from it thinking I might come up with the same end result....broken magnets.

to trusty craigslist I go and find a running 1990 85hp force outboard with a broken lower unit for $100....which I bought. I now have the 85hp separated and sitting awaiting to become a donor. it is different in a few ways....mounting bolt pattern for start...but according to the fellow I bought it from...who was a boat mechanic....the crankshaft splines will match the l drive shaft ??? (that's a do you know that as well question)….I haven't gotten that far yet but both are 15 spline. I can make a thin adaptor plate to bolt to 85's base and then mount it to my l drive...if the splines match....hope to know that answer in the near future.

next...and another question hoping you might assist with....the exhaust on the 85 vents out the outboard lower unit. on the 90 sport jet the exhaust manifold has a built in elbow and fitting that turns it out to a bellow....do you know if the 90 manifold would bolt up to the 85 head? another thing I hope to find out in the not so distance future !...but hoping you might have input.

I saw where I fellow put a 350 v8 in one of these boats....I support foolishness totally....but am only attempting to modify my boat very little....and at the same time maybe open up the engine swap possibilities for other owners of these cool little boats...it holds a dear spot to me for the protect the manatee no prop feature. seems the thought is that nothing will bolt up so changing to anything else is not possible. I hope to be able to open a window into a different idea....in that if you can match the splines....then it can be made to adapt. I have done car mods and am somewhat knowledgeable in turning a wrench....but I always like to listen and learn for a guy that knows....hoping that's you....or maybe someone else has attempted this....I don't see anything on the internet bout it though.

thanks greatly in advance for any help or advice you might send my way...…