1972 9.9 Model 92HD

PaulinNC

Recruit
After about 12 years of ZERO use, I have decided to get the little 9.9running again. Cleaned the carb, replaced Fuel Pump gaskets, cleaned plugs, cleaned points and changed impeller. Shot a little starting fluid and after several pulls the engine "hit" a few times but never started. I have gotten a few pops out of it but will not start. Now can not even get it to hit with starting fluid. Checked and cleaned plugs and they seem to be firing. Plug wires are very hard and stiff and could be an issue and I believe the plugs are original. I am going to replace the plugs tomorrow and see if that helps. Any other thoughts or recommendations to try? Recommendations on where I can purchase ignition parts for this engine? Thanks in advance

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
G'day
welcome
how you going?

You need a helper to check for spark,
one pulls the the rope, the other stands behind the motor,
a dark shed helps too,

also would not hurt to do a compression test,
as l'm not in the US can't say where to find parts other than ebay
cheers

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
(seem to be firing????) get a spark tester.
Being it's almost 50 the condensers and points might need replacing??

shopping

PaulinNC

Recruit
(seem to be firing????) get a spark tester.
Being it's almost 50 the condensers and points might need replacing??

shopping

I can see the spark on the top plug but cant see the spark on the lower plug although I did get bit by the lower one yesterday. I was thinking capacitors and plugs might be the next step. Do you know if there is an electronic ignition replacement for the original points system?

PaulinNC

Recruit
G'day
welcome
how you going?

You need a helper to check for spark,
one pulls the the rope, the other stands behind the motor,
a dark shed helps too,

also would not hurt to do a compression test,
as l'm not in the US can't say where to find parts other than ebay
cheers

thanks Tassie, I will try the dark shed technique

PaulinNC

Recruit
I went out this morning and was able to observe spark on both plugs, although the spark seemed intermittent depending on where the throttle was positioned. Besides setting the timing does the throttle have any other effect on spark?

JerryJerry, do you have any recommendations for parts suppliers?

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
Verify the timing with a mechanical test for TDC and the flywheel lining up properly.
If TDC measured with a screwdriver on the top of the piston and the mark on the flywheel.
If the key has sheared the engine cannot run

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The only test to do is the gap test.------Spark must jump 1/4" to be called good.-----Sparkplugs are not a good way to test for health of the system.-----Since there is some spark on this system the key is not sheared.

PaulinNC

Recruit
I pulled the plugs again and spun the motor over with an electric drill. Got good enough spark by doing this to ignite the fumes and fuel around the engine. Put the plugs back in and used the pull cord to assist turning over the engine so the drill could continue to spin it. After several seconds and a few shots of starting fluid the engine started and is running pretty well. Now to adjust the carb.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Throttle position should have no affect spark.
I get a lot of parts from eBay and they sell parts here.
boatsdotnet sells some older parts too.

Setting the carb: motor warm in the water, turn screw in until it coughs, sputters, stalls.
Then back out 1/2 turn.