1973 chrysler 55hp 559hf starter issues

mfkirkland

Cadet
Burned up my starter while working on carb issues. So am looking to replace it. The service manual says the starter is part number A201955. So I order one that claims to be a direct replacement. It don't fit. Ordered a different one that claims to fit. It don't. In fact they were identical, just with different part numbers.
They have different threads to the mounts. If I use alternate holes in the mounts, the starter is twisted and will not attach to block.
And now I in search of a prestolite starter MGD-4002b-12v. This number found on the starter itself
Anybody know where I might find one of these?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Pic shows the top of the starter cut off?

eBay " Chrysler outboard starter"
There's a few that match.

wickware

Lieutenant
Reach out to Nordin, He is on top on this model Chrysler if he is still here. I am not on here enough to know. From my Regular days I learned some 35HP Parts will exchange with some 55 model.

Plus, Frans was the specialty Shop to find hard to find parts..

As mentioned, a starter generator shop, some Auto Stores or You could spot and rebuild if it is stand Brushers wear.

Good Luck!

mfkirkland

Cadet
Here is where I am now.

Wickware, thanks for clue to Nordin. Hope Nordin will be available for my many other questions.

Jerryjerry, Dont know why pic cut off. And now not sure if it matters. Will try to post a different pic just to see if I can

Took wrench3's advice and took mine to a starter / alternator repair place. Finch Alternator and Starter Rebuilder out of Houston. Turn key job in 24 hours. Should have gone this route to start with.

As noted in my earlier post, The starter's listed as replacement parts for the A201955 listed in my VWB-27456 parts catalogue do not fit. I tried many different manufacturers part number Either too tall, threads are different or the mounting holes are off center. Nada. I did find a few options for the Prestolite MGD-4002b-12v, but they did not look much better than mine and still had the fitment questions.

I bought 2 starters online that had to go back. Both claiming to replace A201955. Neither did. Spent 100 bucks. One had restocking fee. One didn't. Both, I one I had to pay return shipping the other, not.

Bottom line. I should have just spent the 102 to rebuild (and saved time).
Its sad because a long time ago I worked in an electric motor repair shop and should have known repair was easily done.

mfkirkland

Cadet
Ok, that seems to have been more trouble than it was worth.
Im hoping the image shows properly

Attachments

• photo308670.jpg
    photo308670.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 2

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
While the $100 hurts!!!
It's good to know that it's done RIGHT!!
Now after a couple of seasons of use, use the skills you
have to clean the brushes and save another $100

There's a couple on eBay that match.

Nordin

Commander
Wickware and all others I am still here, reading and answer questions.
BUT since about a couple of weeks, I can not answer questions from my inbox.
When I open the message inbox it is loading for ever.
I do not know what the problem is.

BTW about this thread Chrysler 55Hp starter.

My experience is to repair a starter 99 times out of 100 instead of buy a new used one or a new one.
The costs are equal and buying a new Chines starter..........NO, NO and NO.
New no Chines starter is going to be harder to find AND in 90% or even more the old starter is repairable.
Most of the times new brushes, cleaning and maybe new bushing are needed then the starter is like new.

Last edited:

wickware

Lieutenant
To Mfkirkland and all- A good Clymer Chrysler/force Manuel will serve you well in servicing your 55 HP Chrysler. Next, lots of good info is stored in this site if search is still here with good demo Pics. There is lots of good personal info stored in this site from Frank, Nordin, JB and Experienced Techs if you search their info. For example if you search Wickware you will find years of info I shared on Chryslers 35-55 HP engines that shared part since they were related on info I needed for my 1968 35 HP Chrysler
I had a good time servicing my 1968 Chrysler Engine on a 1970, 15’ Raycraft (fiberglass Boat), built in East Texas for East Texas Stumps.

There is something very strange happening on this board. Good luck and hopefully help will come soon. Or an explanation on why the board is so erratic to process..

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Wickware has contributed a lot of good info over the years but the Clymer manual recommendation??
Look for a factory manual if possible, eBay or other auction sites etc?
Clymer has some good info but the manual covers a bunch of motors and is too general.
When buying make sure you get the service manual and not the parts manual.