Screwed By THE Screw.

Steven w

Recruit
Someone decided to help me change the lower unit oil and removed the pivot screw how do you replace it

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some one else made that mistake a while ago.-----I believe if you search back a few weeks you will find how to resolve this.------I do not need more blisters on my fingers to explain it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
IF?? it doesn't just go back in and work??
Then the lower unit needs to be taken apart and the pieces put together.

Look on U-tube?
The first 3-4 posts in this forum have tips on some repairs.

Get a factory manual and a good parts diagram.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
.First of all, this isn't a catastrophic failure by any means. It is very fixable and may take some work, but certainly doable.

suggest you look up a parts break down for your engine so you can see how that "wrong screw" removal fits in the lower foot section. Then you can maybe work with a awl to see if you can realign it up where it is supposed to fit and avoid opening the lower foot to fix. Some times that works. But worst case is you'll have to open the lower foot to get it back in place.

It is the pivot pin for the clutch dog that shifts the forward, neutral, reverse gears...

The Force power

Commander
This happen to me and as gm280 & jerryjerry05 stated;

worst case you have to remove the gear assembly reverse/prop-shaft/dog-clutch but you can leave the Drive-shaft/pinion-gear and forward-gear.

tilt the Lower-unit with the opening to the sky and move it around, with aid of a flashlight you will find the Yoke that has fallen off the shift-pin when the Pivot-pin was accidentally removed.

now the tricky part as the yoke is not magnetic to fish it trough the prop shaft opening from the forward-gear.

once the pivot-pin is back in its place and the Coupling moves back and forth as it should, apply a small amount of marine-grease on the yoke/shift-pin(to keep it from falling off) also make sure the yoke's opening is facing down

have the coupling facing toward the shift-pin and yoke(moving it in place by puling/pushing the Shift-shaft
now slowly start pushing the prop-shaft and all parts attached into the lower-unit.

make sure the yoke lines up with the coupler behind the forward-gear, when it latches together; you'll see the shift-shaft come up