1990 force 120hp outboard Carburetor help

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
I just want to start out with a thank you to all that chimed in on my first post and all there after. I managed to get the motor running and got back out on the water again which I could not have done without all who helped with the process. I am having some other issues with it though which I would humbly ask for some advise again.
One issue is that the engine with get stuck in reverse at times; under load. Engine off, I can hear a clicking then it pops out of reverse and functions properly. Could this be because the shaft seal is bad as I did replace the impeller but did not see a seal...?
Second issue is that my lower carb is peeing fuel out of a small port on the starboard side above the bowl. I did investigative research and took the two bowls off to see whats up and I noticed that the two floats were not assembled the same way; opposite in fact. Normal? Im getting conflicting info from online and my manual...
Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Floats should be the same.----Pull both carburetors apart for cleaning.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Stuck in R under load: RPM's too high, shift cable stuck, the shift rod seal seizing the rod.

The seal sets in an aluminum housing.
It slowly corrodes and that builds up under the seal and it swells and the shaft seizes.
The inside of the seal gets dirty and the crud buildup seizes the shaft.

Carbs/floats : the floats should only fit one way?? Pics??
The needle and seat: some seats have a rubber seal in the bottom that can go bad and leak.
The needle: some are solid and are used with the rubber seat seal.
The other needle has a rubber tip, it can get a groove in it and leak fuel.
Pics??

The top 3-4 posts in this section cover some repairs and how to set the air/fuel mix for running at idle.

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
[No message]

Attachments

• photo308323.jpg
    photo308323.jpg
    875.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo308324.jpg
    photo308324.jpg
    1,021.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo308325.jpg
    photo308325.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • photo308326.jpg
    photo308326.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5

blackd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
puffitu, I'm sure others will chime in, but bottom carb is INCORRECT. That tab pointing down on the bottom carb float is supposed to ride against the valve. I thought the needle valve went up and down and not to side to side. Lift the top carb float up so that you can see its tab and watch what it rides against. You should see the needle valve moving with it.

Are you sure you have the correct float?

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks
yeah I thought it looked odd to be upside down like that. I’m green to all this but common sense and a little digging tells me something is not right on the bottom carb. I am contemplating removing bottom carb for closer inspection maybe later today and I’ll post pics...

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
[No message]

Attachments

• photo308336.jpg
    photo308336.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
[No message]

Attachments

• photo308337.jpg
    photo308337.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
What are next steps I should take here and keep the n mind my boat terminology is somewhat limited but work in progress..?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
One float is up side down I believe.-----Look for a mark on the float where it pushes on the needle.----Post pictures from the bottom looking up.

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Which parts should I replace? Or should I just get repair kits?

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
OK, so...after reading countless posts, Ive stumbled upon one that is making me think that who ever re built these carbs last, put the top one on bottom and bottom on top. Does it matter if theyre swapped??? When I took them off; the top was TC-106A-847 and the one on the bottom was TC-107A-847. After reading the posts Im beginning to think that these are backwards??
Thanks guys!

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
These pics were taken before carbs were taken off...

Attachments

• photo308360.jpg
    photo308360.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • photo308361.jpg
    photo308361.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The difference between the top and bottom: the fuel hose connector on bottom should be a T fitting.
the fuel connector on top is an L shaped fitting.
These are PRESSED in and don't swap easily.
The roller where the throttle cam rides is on the other side on the bottom.
They are the same carb, just different fittings.

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Goodmorning Jerryjerry05,

Thanks. My main concern is the difference in the jets; and if i can somehow identify if they’re installed correctl. If I understand correctly the two carbs are one for slow speed and other for high but then there’s a difference in jet sizes for fuel compensation purposes. ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
NO,NO------Both carburetors operate EXACTLY the same way.----And air that goes into the top carburetor can not finds its way to the bottom 2 cylinders.

Last edited:

blackd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Now that I can see the full view of floats the bottom is not incorrect. The TABS DO contact the needle valve. That leads to another question. Do the valves move freely with the floats? The most common causes for your symptoms are the valve binding or not sealing when the carb bowl is full. Look bat at Jerry's comment re: valve types, rubber tipped or rubber seat. Check your carb to see if you have the correct valves installed. If not replace with correct. If yes, clean and if necessary replace needle valves.

These are both inexpensive and effective fixes for these carbs. Reminder, do not leave gas in these carbs. Run them dry whenever coming off the water and flushing the motor. Doing so will significantly reduce these occurrences. May not stop but reduce where a periodic carb cleaning is all that's necessary.

Now that you've had the carbs off you can see how relatively easy this cleaning step is.

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks blackd -I’m running to my Merc supply store before they close-🤙