Spark plugs?

respun

Cadet
Hello all. I have been restoring a 1984 sportcraft with an '84 Chrysler 85 hp. Just wondering what are the best spark plugs to run?

respun

Cadet
Well I guess the plugs in the engine are not the correct plugs. The engine calls for champion UL18V . That plug has no grounding electrode. The plugs in my engine have a grounding electrode. Going to pick up the correct plugs now.

Nordin

Commander
Chryslers and Force engines with Prestolite/Mercury thunderbolt or Motorola CD ignition calls for surface gap plugs such as Champion L20, UL18V etc or NGK surface gap plugs such as BUHX, BUHW.
Typ (not brand) depending on how hot or cool the engine is running.

respun

Cadet
The motor had L77JC4 in it when I got the boat. I was having problems getting the idle mixture right. Don't know how much the wrong plugs would have an effect on that.

Going to take her out today to try out the new plugs (autolite 2892). I'll report back with my findings.

The Force power

Commander
If I may throw my 2 cents in,

Are all the plugs appearing to be the same? I mean the collar if the's a difference like one darker then the other, the carbs my need to be synced

by the way; those "perma gab" Spark-plugs are the best! as Jerry already mentioned

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
skip all the other ones and use the NGK BUHX - they idle the best. Ran those in my 1985 and 1988

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I ran the Champion plugs and the NGK's and never noticed any difference.
The things that can make your motor idle weird.:

The air screw needle is scared or has a groove.
The air/fuel mix is wrong
One reed petal can be bent, broken or missing.
A bad gasket between the carb and intake.
A bad gasket on the port covers, 1 tiny cough or backfire can blow the port cover gaskets.
The fuel recirc system is clogged and the screens dirty.
The gasket in the exhaust chest.
The plenum hose clogged or missing.

There are probably a few dozen more but these are the ones that are the most prevalent.

respun

Cadet
Just an update:
I was only able to run on the hose today. Getting it started was harder than usual (Bendix started slipping) Some brake cleaner saved the day.

Idle was much smoother and a lot less smoke with the surface gap plugs. Can't wait to open her up on the lake. Thanks for all the input. I'm sure I'll be back.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I had a 70's something Evinrude that I bought brand new and it came with surface gap plugs. That motor never idled very well and usually ran like crap at any speed. A few years later I took it to the dealer for a tuneup and when I picked it up the mechanic showed me a factory service bulletin that recommended a change to a gapped plug. That's what he put in and it ran better then.

Not saying this is the same issue, but maybe you should check the Chrysler archives to see if such a bulletin exists. Just because the factory manual says one thing doesn't mean it wasn't superseded.

On another note, I once had an Evinrude kicker that fouled plugs like there was no tomorrow. At the advice of a factory engineer I switched to Splitfires and the fouling was eliminated 100%. I realize many "experts" poopoo Splitfires, but it sure worked for me.

I have heard others poopoo ALL Champion plugs, but you could have fooled me.

Bottom line is that sometimes it takes experimentation...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The manufacturer: when they recommend an item like a spark plug.
It's not so much the motor runs better but the plug maker made the factory a deal on using their products.

Always been a Champion fan.
Autolite, the only time I've had luck is when they go into older Fords.

The Force power

Commander
when I purchased my current boat & 90 hp Force it came with two "spares" (parts motors) both spares have different Spark-plus in them; one has BUHW-2 & the other has BUZHW

The BUZHW looks a lot like BUHX but what is the significant difference?

What difference is between BUHW and BUHW-2 ?

The Force power

Commander
I emailed NGK to find out the difference between the BUZHW and BUZHW-2 spark plugs and here is his reply.

Hello,

There is one large difference, the -2 at the end. This stands for pre-gap. Since this plug is a surface discharge it is pre-set and non-adjustable. The -2 comes out at 0.072" and the non-2 comes out at 0.052".

Best Regards,

Jason Norwood
NGK Spark Plugs ( USA) Inc.
Technical Services Administrator - Aftermarket Division
46929 Magellan Drive
Wixom, MI 48393
Office: (248)-926-7107
Fax: (248)-926-6938
Email: jnorwood@ngksparkplugs.com
ASE Certified
Ngksparkplugs.com

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
It's amazing the info you can get if you ask.:)

I also understand the heat range on NGK is the cooler plugs have higher letters like M is hotter than L
While Champion is hotter by the higher #s
20 hotter than an 18