Force wiring

The Force power

Commander
Hi, I'm new at this forum and I'm not sure if I am posting in the right place (correct me if I'm wrong)

I recently bought a 1990 Force 90 HP outboard and I removed it from the boat (bayliner Capri)
I know how to read schematics/wiring diagrams & I have the repair manual (worked for 20+ years on Diesel motors)
and I also have brought many Mercury motors back to life

okay enough about me, lets move on to my question;

I want to test run the motor without the controls hooked to them, to what wire or terminal do connect a wire so I can ground-out the circuit to shut off the motor?

my gratitude to all the experts on these sites that make it possible for all of us the work on our motors.

Phil

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Did you happen to get the wiring harness too?
My self I don't know :( Maybe Nordin can help?

The Force power

Commander
Hi Jerry,

The motor wiring is all complete but disconnected from the boat-harness while it's off the boat for repairs.
I looked at the schematic, the diagram does not tell me what terminals from the key-switch connect when in the on/off-position.

Without this I can't really figure out where/what wire to ground-out to kill the ignition, as most as I would love to fire the baby up and start running it; I would not have a (right) way of shutting her down.

Has anybody worked/run them without the controls/ external-wiring hooked to them?

The Force power

Commander
I had posted earlier; that I know how to read schematics, well I guess I was wrong although I needed a wiring schematic from the 1800 bayliner for me to see it.

the black/yellow wires coming from CD1 & CD2 coming together on the terminal-strip need to be grounded in order to kill the ignition.

I hope someone else can use my findings today and I have a schematic for a Bayliner I'll try to upload that

Nordin

Commander
Send me a PM and I will scan a wiring diagram from th factory service manual.

In those years Brunswick started to put Mercury parts on the Force engines.
As you says the ignition system has 2 CD boxes then it has the Prestolite system.
The mercury system has only one CD box.

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here ya go.

Attachments

• photo307841.jpg
    photo307841.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 3