broken carb

mfkirkland

Cadet
Chrysler 55jp 1973 model 559hf
Its a tillotson wb-15c , the gold post / tube on the back left in this pic has broken off. Is it important? I cant find the tube in service manual or parts list.
Motor was not running well before rebuild. During disassembly I discovered the tube broken off. Unknown if broke during disassembly or if already broke.
If important, any advice how to replace or repair? What is it called

Attachments

• photo307723.jpg
    photo307723.jpg
    972 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Does that tube fit into a well section in the fuel bowl? If so it could be for the choke system to help enrichen the fuel when starting. IDK...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You have to replace / repair that.------Find a donor carburetor , brass tube at a hobby shop.----Used carburetor off E-Bay.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I don't remember seeing one of those on an carb before?????
Put it back together and try it ??

mfkirkland

Cadet
well, the tube of discussion broke off right at level of the carb boss .Anybody with an idea of it dimensions or where to find a replacement?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If it broke off clean at the carb body, you could try to use an appropriate size screw driven in part way to remove the rest of it. Then you can see the diameter and use a copper tube cut to the proper height for a replacement. I am sure it was a press in fit and not cast into the carb body. JMHO

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
Carefully drill it out and replace with a small brass tube from the hobby house. Cut the tube to the length you need to connect the vent tubing

mfkirkland

Cadet
Thanks guys, I am still working on this. So far, I had already drilled the remainder out of the body. My drilling was a little sloppy so I couldn't just measure the broke piece. The tube I first bought was two big and the second hasn't arrived yet. I tried the local hobby shops and they looked at me like I was crazy when told I wanted small brass or copper tubes.
Will update when I know more
In the meantime I bought a used carb that had been rebuilt. Had to borrow some of the connecting pieces but I it fits.

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
Here is basically what you want.

https://www.amazon.com/PRECISION-ME...16+brass+tube&qid=1551016583&s=gateway&sr=8-2

A little JB weld will hold it in.
It is just a vent so don't get too worried about the precision of the thing.
I made the same repair on a set of 90 HP carbs that the vents (steel) had corroded away.
I fabricated some tees as well, but you can just run straight pieces and use rubber tubes and plastic tees if necessary