Chrysler 75 hp starter removal

rkinross

Cadet
I have a 1982 Chrysler 75 hp engine 756H2H and would like to replace the starter. I have removed the two nuts on the top of the starter and disconnected all of the wires attached to the starter. I can't get it to budge from the mounting bracket. Is there some other way to get the starter out of the mounting bracket? There does not seem to be much room to move the starter between the upper and lower brackets.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Is it the model where the lower bracket also comes off?
the LB is bolted to the block and has a starter through bolt attaching it

rkinross

Cadet
I will have to check that. It must be something like that because the prior owner pried the lower bracket down and it is currently not attached to the starter.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
There;s a bracket on the bottom.
It's held in place with a 1/4-20 X 5/8 screw.
And the 2 nuts on the top.

IF the nuts and screw is loose and it still won't move??
Hit the nut on the top of the armature with a hammer, put a piece of wood on it so the threads
won't be damaged.

rkinross

Cadet
Thank you jerryjerry05 and tassie1 for your replies. I was able to find the bottom 11mm bolt holding the lower starter bracket on to the block. I purchased a new starter and installed it today 7/29/2019. I had to remove the long bolt that runs up the right side of the starter to attach the bottom starter bracket. The long bolts (2 of them) that run from the bottom of the starter to the top are only threaded thru the top of the starter so they are fairly easy to remove. Now the only problem left to solve is the bottom bracket is not lining up with the hole in the block to attach the 11mm bolt. It is about 1/4 inch lower than it should be. The bracket itself does not appear to be bent as I originally thought. It forms a 90 degree angle from the block to the starter. I was wondering if there is something I am missing in how to re-attach this bracket.

redfury

Commander
OEM style starter or aftermarket.....compare the two starters side by side.

rkinross

Cadet
redfury and jerryjerry05 thanks for your replies - The replacement starter is exactly the same size as the one I am replacing. I will have to check the bracket again but from memory I do not see a way I could have it installed upside down. The bracket forms a 90 degree L shape. From the base of the starter, my bracket forms an L with the shorter L side facing downward. I think jerryjerry05 might be on to something here because if I reverse the bracket with the shorter L side facing up it might give me the extra clearance required to attach it to the block. I will never make it as a mechanic. I even took pictures of the starter before removing it but the bracket did not end up in any of the pictures taken.

redfury

Commander
details details details! You get better at anything the more you do it. You are expected to flub something the first few go arounds... ( don't we all forget a certain plug before launching a boat at least once?:D )