1995 force 120 fuel check valve?

Bgbbgb246

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1995 Force 120 and I was replacing all the fuel lines because I've been having a problem keeping the boat primed. Every time I turn off the motor for more than half an hour I have to reprime the motor because the bulb is soft. For good measure I replaced all the fuel lines before the motor just in case there was a small leak. Today I opened up the engine to see if I could see any problem there and I found a plastic intermediate piece in the fuel line that has an arrow on it. It looks like there's maybe a thin screen inside of it. But it has an arrow on it so I kinda thought it might be a check valve. I took it off and I can blow through it in the direction of the arrow and in the opposite direction with no resistance. I was going to replace it with just a standard fuel check valve of the same size because it seems like there is a good chance that if there is a check valve that is bad then that may be why I can't keep fuel to motor while I'm out fishing. However I just want to make sure that this is indeed a check valve and not a filter that I am going to replace with a check valve if there isn't supposed to be one. It's the white thing that I'm referring to

Attachments

• photo307586.jpg
    photo307586.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
That's a filter.
You should replace every year or 2.

Fram Filter G-2 G-3 G-12
These are see through filters and what I use when I replace or add a filter.

The squeeze ball has a check valve that should stop fuel from returning to the tank.
It could be bad? How old?
If you replace?? Use a brand name Like Mercury, OMC etc.
More expensive but well worth the cost.

I had 3 new squeezies BAD right out of the box Cheap aftermarket.

Bgbbgb246

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the reply. I actually cut it open to see what it was and found it to be a filter and promptly replaced it. However I think I will take your advice on the primer bulb. It seems like it's old because it's exceptionally softer and easier to squeeze than even the aftermarket ones I see at sportsman's Warehouse. I should have blown through the bulb both ways when I had it out of the boat however I wasn't really aware of the check valve. I'll probably just replace it for good measure and see how the boat does next time