1995 Force 90 swap for 1993 Force 120

Bannister 6905

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Happy New Year everyone!

I'm considering a project where I'd replace my 1995 Force 90 outboard with a pristine 1993 Force 120.
Is anyone aware of any issues with wiring / mounting / etc. that I'll need to address? I am hoping the controls and harness will be "plug and play", but that may be wishful thinking.

Any constructive advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Nordin

Commander
The different in harness and the remote control depends on if they have Chrysler/Force style or Mercury style.
In those days 1992-93 they started to change over to Mercury ignition systems, gear housings and controls changed with the gear housing.

The harness can be converted by checking the colour code but the connectors for the wires are not interchangable.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
First thing to check on the 1993 120 Force is a compression test on all four cylinders. Like Nordin stated, the wiring harness are different, however, the color codes are pretty much standard.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The 93 came with 3 different ignition systems.
Prestolite and 2 Mercury styles.
You know the serial/model# ??
Post pics of the ignition if you don't know the model.

95 is Mercury ignition.

The shift linkage could be different too??
Again model/serial# ??
Or pics.
95 is Mercury.

The wiring harness, key switch?
Pics.

The transom brackets? 2 different styles.

Bannister 6905

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, I found a good 1997 Merc 115 to swap, after I got the Force back and running.
The swap was easy - wiring is the same, mounting holes are the same and throttle / shift cables are interchangeable - just needed a bit of adjustment. Both boats are happy now!